FreeCodeCamp just got me my first programming job!

This is awesome! I really hope I am able to find a front-end job as well.

1 Like

Congratulations Frank! Good luck and have fun every day!

1 Like

Congrats. If you donā€™t mind me asking, how long did you do FCC before getting the job?

1 Like

I had to double check, but I started at the beginning of March this year. And thank you!

1 Like

I actually never did one. I responded to the ad but sent them a personal ā€œcover letterā€ type message with my response, basically explaining my situation to them.

1 Like

Bro, that was 3 months ago. How did you pull that off? Iā€™m inspired, man. Did you have previous coding experience?

1 Like

I did come in with some previous (purely recreational) experience, so luckily I wasnā€™t coming in cold. I donā€™t paint myself as being an expert by any means, but I did know the basics of the web development big 3 (JS/HTML/CSS) coming in and it was more about expanding what I already knew with the algorithm challenges and the projects.

My biggest tip for anyone is not to look for the four- or eight-hour chunks where you go crazy and code all day long, especially if you already have a job doing something else or have other responsibilities. Those big chunks never come and you donā€™t end up doing anything. I had been working some pretty long hours at my previous job, to be honest, but I made sure to spend a single hour each day studying. And it adds up big time.

10 Likes

Inspiring. Hoping the same for me as well. Many congrats.

1 Like

Are they by any chance looking for a remote web designer/developer? :wink:

1 Like

Congratulations. Awesome stuff! My situation is a bit like yours. I have some recreational experience with the big 3 but it was more ā€œfigure out what you need to do the job and slap it together until it worksā€ rather than truly learning. Now I know that basically IS how you learn. haha. Just finishing up my Simon game now and then once I do a LinkedIn profile and polish up my portfolio a bit, Iā€™ll start looking for a job. Hopefully Iā€™ll be able to find one quickly too.

1 Like

Iā€™m so happy for you!!! I donā€™t even know youā€¦ but it feels like hearing good news from a friend! Thank you for sharing your storyā€¦ I needed some inspiration :sunny:

3 Likes

congratulations! makes me think I should start looking for jobs when i get my portfolio sorted. really great news, you reassure me as a stranger, i just got to keep goinā€™ though :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Congratulations,

And you were entirely self-taught? Wow! Iā€™m thinking of spending $12k on bootcamp but will not if self-teaching can lead to the same result. Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Dussker

1 Like

Thatā€™s amazing! Congrats and thanks for sharing your story!

1 Like

Great job, happy for you! Iā€™m in the North MS area and I see c#/MVC/.net is heavy in Mem/ATL - did you learn that prior to FCC?

Congratulations! All the best and thank you for inspiring us :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is this a remote job?

2 Likes

No, this is an in-person position. Iā€™d love remote but Memphis doesnā€™t seem to have a lot of options in that department.

Entirely self-taught ā€“ of course I still have tons and tons to learn but I was lucky to find a company that was willing to take a chance on me.

I will say that Iā€™m convinced that FCC was what got me the job. They were big on being able to see work I had done previously, and having my portfolio (more-or-less) put together was a huge boon for me).

3 Likes

This is awesome! I hope to do the same when Iā€™m done with the front end certification. Could anyone tell me how many hours they spent a week working on freecodecamp before they got their certificate? Iā€™m kinda just doing one section a week right now, but thatā€™s probably gonna change once I get into the more difficult sections that require 10 hours plus. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!