freeCodeCamp Redesign: Command Line Chic

We are redesigning freeCodeCamp to make it more closely resemble the command line interfaces and code editors that professional developers use for work.

I call it “Command Line Chic.”

This is the current freeCodeCamp.org codebase - the only thing we’ve done is change some CSS.

Here are some things you may notice:

It’s night mode. We want to use night mode by default. Most code editors and terminals are in night mode by default, and we think it’s easier on the eyes for long coding sessions. (You can still switch to light mode from the settings or using a hotkey.)

The fonts are huge. Going forward, all fonts will be at least 18px for readability. This is now possible because we are going to put a lot fewer elements on screen.

We’re using a monospace font called Hack. Monospace fonts are slightly harder to read when you have lots of long paragraphs of text, but version 7.0 of our curriculum will involve a lot less reading and a lot more coding. We will still use a Proportional font (Lato) for longer text like Guide articles.

A huge thanks to @abdolsa for overhauling all this CSS and for updating our Design Style Guide with additional screenshots and details.

I’m excited to hear your thoughts on this new visual direction, and happy to answer any questions you all may have.

41 Likes

I’m curious, does this mean a new window layout, collapsing the buttons into a dropdown or toolbar, or what?

I really like this as I use night mode by default. However I think the light blue on blue is hard on the eyes.

3 Likes

can’t wait to see that in my system , You guys are amazing .
Happy coding .
@QuincyLarson sir

3 Likes

We are moving to a single-column layout where the code editor is the majority of the screen.

The current test you’re working on - along with the buttons, HTML preview, console output - will appear in between the lines of relevant code. (You’ll still be able to scroll around through the code and click through to other files.) You can read more about the upcoming curriculum improvements here.

3 Likes

Great question. Once we feel comfortable with the redesign, we’ll roll it out - maybe within the next few weeks.

The big user experience changes will wait until we have more of the curriculum update ready.

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. Just to clarify, do you mean this blue text?

Thanks Quincy, I love the new ideas. Especially the 18px!! My 53 year old eyes are grateful for that.

And I agree with Tirjasdyn that the light blue on blue (the code) is hard on the eyes. Same for the white on the blue-grey on the left side. Maybe you could use lots of contrast for the default settings and give us some choice in colour schemes.

That would make it accessible for everyone.

2 Likes

That is correct. It is hard to focus on not enough contrast.

The big user experience changes will wait until we have more of the curriculum update ready.

I assume you mean the new curriculum ?

Yes - I’ve been calling it a “curriculum update” because the certifications and their projects aren’t changing - just non-required parts of the curriculum.

Just to clarify, along with this redesign, all the latest changes to the Guide and Curriculum changes in the current master branch would get rolled out to production possibly in the next few weeks?

We will roll out the master branch improvements first. Then we will roll out the UI redesign.

Thanks! I’m mentioning @abdolsa here so he can look into the contrast on this text / background combination.

3 Likes

@QuincyLarson , that looks great. I was thinking that maybe the top navbar could have a bit more top and bottom padding though

2 Likes

@thecodingaviator, I think part of the nav got cut off in the screen shot - you can see the search box border is missing on the top. The words on the nav look fine to me, perhaps the search box could use slightly more space on top and bottom.

I don’t think I have a problem with the light blue text on the blue background like @Tirjasdyn mentioned. I sort of have the opposite problem with the white text in left panel, it’s too much contrast. Especially around and between the “run the test”, “reset all code”, etc. buttons. I think the text in that panel should be a little less white.

That’s really my only concern. Overall, it looks real good - nice job @abdolsa!

I specifically like how the text in code tags stays the same color as the rest of the description and just gets the added background… The same background color across the panels look great. Everything just looks way cleaner. :+1:

How about this… move the console to the bottom of the preview panel? The preview is often not filled vertically, and it would free up some more space for the editor.

1 Like

Love this, I agree with @moT01 about the white text in left panel. Next is only about the icon below ask for help button, we could use some fcc green :slight_smile:.

I think it looks slick. Looking forward to having more space. I have 2 questions:

• Will it be possible to change the font size? Ideally between 12 and 18

• I’m not crazy about the blue background in the console. I’d love a dark gray :slight_smile:

Thanks!

@Tirjasdyn, I agree that the color combination is hard on the eye. mainly because both colors basically have the same hue(base color).

all colors in the editor have above 7 contrast ratio, which is the web standard. but because other colors are warmer, they stand out better.

We are basically experimenting with going darker in the editor.(as dark as the navbar) Please see the following screenshot and let me know what you think. Thank you for your feedback.

7 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. Just to clarify, you are referring to the buttons (white on the blue-grey)? we are experimenting with higher contrast for all backgrounds to texts.

@abdolsa, yes I was referring to the buttons (white on the blue-grey).

And I really like the screenshot in your last post with the darker blue. Nice colours, easy to read for me, even with a small font.

1 Like

I also like the darker blue. Thank so much for considering the contrast.

5 Likes

I think the idea is great, and the following comment is in no way some kind of put down because I think FCC does a wonderful job of making learning accessible.

Being as FCC is trying to look more like an editor, why not just use an editor locally? There’s nothing more authentic than using a local editor, and saving and running the programs on a users own computer. So, would it also be useful to use the code that is used for testing the projects’ code, in the challenges as well? That way, learners can learn and use all of the code (boilerplate, etc) in their own editor with live preview rather than utilising some hidden code inside the online editor that makes things work. They can also use an authentic web console for troubleshooting and exploring. And, of course, any code would be saved locally rather than have to be downloaded at the end of each challenge.