freeCodeCamp's Python Certifications are now in open beta

Hey everyone, I haven’t announced this on Twitter yet (I don’t want to overwhelm the server) but freeCodeCamp’s new Python certifications are live for an open beta here: https://www.freecodecamp.dev

I encourage you all to try the new Python video courses and Python certification projects. And please report any issues you discover on GitHub. If all goes well, we hope to roll these new certifications out to production next week :slight_smile:

I want to thank everyone who participated in our closed alpha over the past few months, and who gave feedback on these new certification projects.

Here’s a rough timeline of what’s coming later this year

Phase 1 (done): Create the certification projects and placeholder video challenges for the 4 new certifications.

Phase 2: Update our code editor to support multi-file editing, so that you can build all of the projects for the first 3 certifications entirely on freeCodeCamp.org (instead of having to build these projects on CodePen/JSBin/GitHub Pages).

Phases 3 through 5: Roll out the practice projects for all 10 certifications. Instead of a series of coding “lessons” like we have now, you will build more than 60 Practice Projects. The 50 required Certification Projects (5 at the end of each certification – required to claim each certification) will remain largely the same.

There is no reason to wait.

Everything you do on freeCodeCamp.org will help you progress toward earning these 10 certifications. As always, the lessons are optional. You only need to build the Certification Projects in order to earn the certifications. And those will not change much in the coming year.

We will continue to support “Legacy” certifications.

None of your existing certifications will ever go away, and you’ll still be able to claim certifications you have partially finished – even if we retire those certifications.

freeCodeCamp has a single, linear curriculum. That is a feature, not a bug.

I strongly believe that everyone getting into programming should learn the same foundational technologies first: HTML, CSS, JavaScript, SQL, Linux, Bash, Node.js, Python, and their related libraries.

The web is still the foundation of software development – even if you’re ultimately planning on going into more specialized fields like security, mobile app development, or data science.

freeCodeCamp’s single, linear curriculum saves you from the biggest run-killer of them all: trying to decide what to learn.

We have already decided for you – based on input from tons of professors, employers, and experienced engineers. Sure – you can roll your own curriculum. You be you. But if you want to make optimal use of your time, I still recommend working through freeCodeCamp’s curriculum from top to bottom and earning all 10 certifications in order.

We have a lot of other exciting announcements coming soon.

We hope continue doing monthly Summit streams on YouTube, showcasing new features and learning resources, and answering your questions.

If you want to get involved in contributing to the freeCodeCamp community, here’s how to get started.

I can answer any questions you all have about the Python Certifications and other upcoming improvements to freeCodeCamp’s curriculum below.

23 Likes

Huzzah and my kudos to the team!

3 Likes

That’s Awesome!

I’m ever ready to contribute to Python Curriculum. I don’t know how but I got access to https://www.freecodecamp.dev/ 2-3 weeks ago. I’m already going through it & looking for anything that can be improved.

Btw @QuincyLarson!

Where can Newbies in Python can learn more about How to Solve? If freeCodeCamp has got any course planned for furure?

3 Likes

Yoooo… Now I can try to learn Python as my backend language. Totally great!!! Great Job Dev Team:)

2 Likes

@QuincyLarson, I have created a related query to the above.

As mentioned in the original post, there are video courses on freeCodeCamp’s YouTube channel.

1 Like

Best day ever in freecodecamp! Thank you all from the team very much for all you efforts to achieve this!

2 Likes

Wow, amazing news!
Having just started on the “Legacy” certifications, what would be the best way to proceed now? Just carry on like before and switch to the new certifications once they’re out of beta? But you’re not planning on making the old ones unavailable for the foreseeable future? :slight_smile:

Don’t put your learning on pause because the curriculum is going to change. The curriculum is always going to change. The lessons that exist now are very good and a wherever you are when the new projects drop, you’ll be able to transition over just fine.

1 Like

This is pretty cool! I was hoping that I’d be able to learn Python from here one day. Congrats to the FCC dev team!

1 Like

Thank you :hugs:
I’ll do that. And I’m soo happy about this update! Just a tiny bit overwhelmed :smile:

1 Like

Can you still get full stack developer after getting the six certs?

Yes, A Full Stack Developer means you are able to use a full stack of languages across the web development:

• Back-end Language (Python, PHP, C++, C# and many more)
  • Database Language (MongoDB, SQL, etc…)
  • Front-end Language (JavaScript, HTML, CSS)
    It usually also includes
  • JavaScript Framework (React, Angular, Vue, Svelte, etc…)

W3C schools actually gives a good explanations here:

https://www.w3schools.com/whatis/whatis_fullstack.asp

FCC teaches the MERN stack which are :

• MongoDB
  • Express
  • React
  • Node

You can always add to your stack, that will help but can also be harmful to your carreer.

1 Like

Is the curriculum entirely different or are there very significant changes?

Hey @codeofdreams, I don’t really know about that. You can check it out yourself https://freecodecamp.dev, or maybe ask around with the FCC Teams and Mods.

Edit: Or you can look at this comparison image:

1 Like

Okay, so it’s somewhat different. Would you suggest that after I finish the curriculum I am on, that I go through this new one for additional learning?

It’s totally up to you. I’m definitely going to learn the Python, because I have been wanting to learn Python and I just really like the FCC Curicullum.

1 Like

Alright, I will certainly consider it. Thank you.

Hey, quick question for the dev team, is this part going to be like CodePen, where you don’t have to type in the <!DOCTYPE html> and other boilerplate stuff? Or is it going to be like a full on editor? Just a quick question, thank you for replies…

Can you give us an estimate timeline for when phase 2 will be up?