Frustrated Camper

Frustrated Camper

I’m logged and I’ve tried FF. I take it no one else is having this issue then?

It’s normal!

But don’t just rely on FCC’s tutorials and expect to be able to solve all the exercises. You would really be frustrated. Supplement that by reading books on the fundamentals of Javascript programming or watching Javascript tutorials from other sources. Once you know the fundamentals, most of things will start to make sense.

And as was previously said, tackle the problem one step at a time. Break it to the simplest task you need to do and once you get that right, then go on to the next. Write the steps in plain English, on paper first. Translating that into code is a matter of looking up the syntax.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Hi. have you tried both types of comments in the answer and try ctrl + enter if you can’t see the button and again to move onto the next course

Hi Michael I see a lot of great answers already but here’s my two cents -
I’ve hit several walls in doing freecodecamp and others. Lots of trials and tribulations but i’ll cut to the chase. Things that helped me partcularly for FreeCodeCamp

• Good book on JavaScript (now don’t read cover to cover, tutorials cover to cover) just use the sections which are directly related to your problem. (two I recommend are JavaScript Novice to Ninja or JavaScript Step by Step)

• Use another resource to get information about the same topic (Mozilla Developer Network has great information on JavaScript (in face freecodecamp often links right to it in the lessons)

• Console.log() EVERYTHING…well not really, just the things that you can’t seem to figure out. Say you are trying something for example you want to see the affect of something you do in the lesson like say you have passed an array as an argument to the function you are supposed to complete… so you take that array variable and try variable.method (e.g. arr.pop(“test string”); and console.log that and when you run the lesson file it will be displayed. Keep doing this with what you think the output might be for each part of the question, once that is working THEN focus on the next.
    I can say for a fact that once I started doing this I’ve been able to start solving most problems with less headache and frustration.

Now be warned you will still face frustration and the code is not working…this is exactly how it should be - but after you overcome it the next time similar, or even harder problems will come eaiser (never give up, trust me :).

The learning process is you come across something you don’t know and seems completely impossible but by working and concentrating on it completely you are letting it into your brain and when you step back from it after an adequate amount of exertion your brain starts to work on it while you’re not actively thinking about it. I’ve learned that and other more valuable tips on learning from this great mooc on Coursera https://www.coursera.org/learn/learning-how-to-learn (a definite must watch for anyone struggling with learning)

Another thing I’m doing is writing a blog on JavaScript (which i’m supposed to be updating every week a few times…good luck) but it’s helped me in the fact that when I’m trying to write a blog about something i’m learning i.e. some exercise from freecodecamp to complete I write about the methods I learned and how to use it, I have to rethink about the methods and explain it from my own perspective which reinforces the learning. Also when I get to higher problems and I need a reference to it I can just go back to my blog and it’s all there in a nut shell: www.javascriptunscripted.com [ahem shameless plug]

There is no magic bullet, but useful information that lets you know how to actually engage the learning process and exert when needed and pull back appropriately. I highly recommend learning how to learn from coursera and good luck…it does get less harder the more you overcome.

I know how frustrating it can be - but it is also So Awesome when I get it right.
One thing that has helped me is to be able to see my previous solutions, since it seems that what I usually am missing is something that I’ve used in a previous problem.
You won’t always feel this way. Step away, breathe, look back on what you’ve already accomplished, review the instructions - and ask for help if you need it. And, as has been mentioned before, Google can be a friend.

All of the replies and advice are great! I really appreciate each and every one of you!

Hi,
been having some serious issues learning javascript / jquery / php,
Though i’ve been coding the web with some help from friends and i’ve been able to code so far with php because of wordpress engine but without wordpress, i’d be lost in php, and same goes to jquery and javascript.
My question is, how can i really learn jquery, javascript and php as to be able to write 2 lines of code without researching the web… Thanks, please reply

@judexes honestly there is no shortcut, you have to study and practice. And if you really want to learn the fastest way is not to waste time jumping all over the place, the quick way is the structured approach. And one of the best structured ways to learn html, css, javascript and jquery is to simply follow the recipe laid out by FreeCodeCamp, which you can find here.

hello @judexes, thanks for the reply!
You have a very good question! I recommend posting your question in one of the sub forums that correspond best with your question! Here are some of the sub forums that I think would best interest you and allow you to gain better result by posting in them.
jQuery - http://forum.freecodecamp.com/c/free-code-camp/jquery-help

Javascript - http://forum.freecodecamp.com/c/free-code-camp/javascript-help

PHP - http://forum.freecodecamp.com/c/free-code-camp/back-end-help

this way you can go into detail about the questions and concerns you have for each programming language!
have a great day and happy coding!

Thanks… Really do appreciate

Thanks… Really do appreciate…

Please do not be frustrated

:slight_smile:

Common people like us all struggle and suffer most if not all the time, for lots of trivial stuffs and life milestones even when we are just trying to be a better man, and when that isn’t enough we may despair ever more, but hey as long as our conscience is clear, so be it. Well, at least one worked hard to be good, to be right.

As to the OP I think it may have to do with the individual’s aptitude. Some are better at this than others. Regardless how we come to be, we just have to work hard and kept working hard. When you feel down, hope you find good people there for you.

Also, if a problem is too difficult consider breaking it in small, incremental steps to solve it, and even smaller again till it start to make sense or doable.

Good luck!
(I also document my FCC journey here, along with some resources you may find helpful)

“Those who are excellent at their work have learned to comfortably coexist with failure. The excellent fail more often than the mediocre. They begin more. They attempt more. They attack more. Mastery lives quietly atop a mountain of mistakes.”
― Eric Greitens, Resilience: Hard-Won Wisdom for Living a Better Life

Hey,

I have been there. Actually I’m still there.
There is a hack I am going to tell you. It worked like a charm for me.

Here is whhat I do :

1. I get my hands dirty for some time depending on the complexity of the problem.
  2. If I still don’t get it, I go to gitter asking for a hint and then I try again. Some times I ask my colleagues or friends to pass me a hint.
  3. I get my hands dirty again.
  4. still no there!! repeat step 2.

I’m not very familiar with the programming jargon, so sometimes when fellow campers pass me a hint which I don’t undrstand fully, I search the jargons on internet. One more concept added to the list of things learned. :slight_smile:

Happy Coding!!

This is very normal. After you solve this you could understand how to solve more challenging missions. I suggest you not to give up and keep the hard work. Good luck. Anyway you can contact me for help or just to say hi.

hi Michael -
Frustration is really part of the game. Some people have a lot of trouble with the most basic parts of the early learning because they do not have extensive experience with any programming language - I have been programming for years, haven’t really gotten into the guts of JavaScript before the last year or so. I think that if you don’t have any background, something like this problem, which is really quite a simple problem, is very foreign. If you have a background in computer science, you could be told that this is modeling a “queue”, which is what the British call a line, such as a line waiting for a bank teller. I think that is where the “Stand In Line” comes from. I just went to look at that challenge again, and I see that they now do give that information about the queue - but I think that with many of these things, either there is a missing bit of information that would help a lot, or they are expecting you to synthesize the answer from the previous lessons. In this case, I think that the preceding lessons covered the array push method, and all of the other methods to add data and remove data at the beginning and end of the array. Probably the first thing to do when encountering this problem, where they mention “Add the number to the end of the array, then remove the first element of array.” - the first thing would be to go and review those Array lessons. I think that it’s frustrating that you cannot easily walk through lessons that you’ve completed for a quick review!

So, hang in there - programming is tough at first, and even later on, there are tricky things that come up. You’ll build up your experience and knowledge and learn, the best way is to spend the time learning on these basic things, that’s where you get your skills built up by figuring them out - use the resources, the chat rooms are great (although they are frustrating, too - things get really confusing there sometimes!) but there are plenty of people that give good help without just spilling the beans (although there are people who do just post the answers there - not always the best for learning!)

Good luck! See you around the forums!
Ken

I’ve realized the trick with FCC is that you can’t rely solely on it’s briefing material to get past the challenges. If you notice, they’ve set you up with the tools needed to find what you’re after. The forum, the chartroom, but also use the rest of the internet to search for “How To’s”.

“How do I remove an element from an array?”
“How to convert a string to lowercase?”
“How do I join two arrays together?”

Don’t expect to think that you’ll know the answer just by reading the question. You have to go search for it. trial and error.

[quote=“michaelhenderson, post:1, topic:1278”]
s simply asking me to remove the first element of an array, return the contents that were removed then "pop
[/quo

Stare at the code for like 20 minutes,
Take a nice walk,
take a nap.
Go back to the code and see if u get it!

Get used to used to reading specifications. All of the gory details:

A heavily digested guide that gives good introductions but misses the nuances:

http://www.w3schools.com/js/

All else fails, try a google search for your question and you’ll most likely find a Stack Overflow thread on a relevant topic.

Looking up the answer isn’t the worst thing in the world. You learn not only by writing your own code but also by reading code other people have written. That’s the best way to see more efficient ways of solving a problem even if your code does work. Understanding someone else’s style and approach helps you learn.