Getting Remote Work - Which Language/Technology Should I Learn?

Hi Campers,

I am new to FCC and want to learn to code in a language/technology that will give me the best possible chance of getting remote work. So which language should I choose ? Are there ones that will give me a better chance of getting remote work than others ?

Look forward to hearing your insights, TIA.

AnaCoder

2 Likes

Hey, Ana. If you want to do web development work, and you’re starting from zero, you should pick up HTML and CSS first. You’re going to need those for practically anything you do. If you’re really good with design, you might be able to create and sell some HTML templates on Themeforest or a similar theme marketplace with those skills alone.

Next, you’ll want to learn Javascript for front-end development. This will start to make you valuable as a contractor. Once you have a decent grasp of Javascript, that would be the time to start looking for remote contract work… or even full-time if that’s your preference. (I would recommend starting with contract work though. It’s easier to get and shows potential full-time employers you are battle ready.)

Once you have a good grasp of vanilla Javascript, you’ll want to figure out jQuery (just because it’s everywhere) and maybe pick a Javascript front-end framework to start mastering. React and Vue are hot right now, but Angular wouldn’t be a bad choice either.

6 Likes

Hey raddevon,

Thank you very much for the detailed reply, thats just the kind of info I am after.

A couple of points -

1. Yes i’m starting from zero.

2. Its not so much a matter of “If you want to do web development work…” more like I will take on any remote work regardless of which field, I don’t care if its part-time/contract/temp etc. So bearing that in mind, do you still think html/css is a must have ?

3. Really useful to know about the JS skills for remote work.

Thanks again !

HTML and CSS are the basics. Yes, very important.

I do have to say if you’re gunning for remote work, you’re going to have lots of more experienced competition. And companies that are hiring trying to be safe tend to give remote work to more experienced people who have a track record, that they have confidence can finish the job (since there is no one to oversee them day to day).

I suggest learn HTML/CSS (+ a little graphics, and how to create sites from a graphics mockup), learn some WordPress too, how to make sites using WP, maintain WP pages, or use themes to make WP sites for clients — then hit up the local small businesses in your area/town/city, including non-profits, churches, clubs, orgs.

Get as much experience as you can making sites for them. You’ll gain valuable work experience, make some money, and learn how to deal with clients, expectations, problems, billing … then after you have experience and feel confident/comfortable working on what typical clients ask from you, then look for remote work. (1) You’d have a portfolio of real-world projects/clients to show future clients, (2) You’d have more experience and landing a remote work will be more likely, since you’ve proven you can do the job

4 Likes

Thank you very much owel !

Hard question to answer based on your current skill level. I’ve worked remotely for the past two years, and I write about it frequently. I think you should focus on learning the basics for now and then consider remote work once you have those down, because the dynamics of remote jobs most likely will have changed by then.

Right now for devs looking for remote work I suggest a few different technologies.

A) Cutting-edge, or
B) Old-school

A) is essentially how I got my first remote job. React had just started gaining steam and I was learning it in my free time–this is long before FCC picked it up. I applied for the position and pretty much was our lead React dev as a novice. Vue.js is what I’d focus on now if I had to try this method.

B) I’ve just started to notice recently. There is high demand and low(er) supply for certain outdated technologies. ColdFusion and Magento fall into this category, as the demand is high, and new devs aren’t really learning this tech.

But, as I said before, this is likely to change by the time you’d pick one of these up. So, in the meantime learn the basics of web development and THEN focus on finding remote work. Also, don’t dismiss the possibility of working freelance.

4 Likes

I would caution you against this approach. If you try to sell yourself as a generalist who can do anything remotely, you’re going to have trouble marketing your services. I would pick an area of focus.

That said, my expertise is (broadly) web application development, so I’ll focus my advice on that. (You wouldn’t want my advice on how to proceed with another area of expertise. :grin:) If you want to move in that direction or in any web-related direction, I’d say, yes, HTML and CSS are a must.

There are certainly many other directions you can go, and, if you decide not to go the web route, you probably don’t need HTML and CSS at all.

2 Likes

raddevon, I’m not intending to generalise, in fact the opposite, just looking to see if there’s a particular skillset that tends to attract more remote work than others.

So the question really is will I restrict the possibility of remote work if I don’t acquire web skills ? My guess is that web skills are fundamental so maybe my direction should be hmtl & css then possibly go onto JS - much like your original suggestion.

Thanks Adrian.

I am well aware of the remote access technologies, in fact they’ve been around for many years now. The reason why there aren’t far more remote access type roles isn’t to do with the lack of technical capability, instead its to do with cultural resistance of moving from office based to remote based. Its about resistance to change. In that sense my original question is actually very difficult to answer because it addresses that very issue.

Why do suggest C as a starting point ?