Global variable in a JQuery function?

Hello everyone ! I was working on a local weather app, and I stumbled uppon a problem I cannot solve ! I’ve been scratching my head for an hour without being able to figure out what’s going on.

So, I’m calling a Jquery function to set a few variable but , even when I try to set those variable as global by not putting the famous ‘var’ beofre declaring them, I cannot use them outside the Jquery function.

Here is the code :

var country;
function getCountry(){
$.ajax({ 
        dataType: "json",
        contentType: "application/json",
        type : "GET",
        url: "https://fcc-weather-api.glitch.me//api/current?",
        data : {
          lat:"48.8566",
          lon:"2.3522",      
        },
        success : function(quote){
 var temperature = quote.main.temp;
 var wind = quote.wind.speed;
 var pressure = quote.main.pressure;
 var humidity = quote.main.humidity;
 country = quote.sys.country;
 document.getElementById("wind").innerHTML = wind;
 document.getElementById("temperature").innerHTML = temperature;
 document.getElementById("pressure").innerHTML = pressure;
 document.getElementById("humidity").innerHTML = humidity;
 document.getElementById("country").innerHTML = country;

},
        error : document.getElementById("temperature").innerHTML = "error" 

});
}

$(document).ready(function(){
  getCountry();
  document.getElementById("countryimg").src = "http://www.geognos.com/api/en/countries/flag/" + country + ".png" ;
});

As you can see, i’m trying to use the variable ‘country’ to get a picture of the country flag, but nothing to do, the variable doesn’t seem to work outside the AJAX function. Does anyone have any idea why it’s not working ? Thanks a lot !

@rendelldawson

Yes , I figured I could simply put the line inside the AJAX call, but since i’m the kind of people that cannot let a question unawnsered, I was wondering if there was any way to set a variable inside an ajax function, is there a way to tell the code to wait for the callback before reading the function ?

Thanks for yhe awnser anyway!