Good books/courses for react?

I’m confused with the courses available. Some aren’t up to date while others do not cover ES6 or JSX … they are a pre requisite.Some use redux some don’t. Same is the case with react-router. Is there a book or course which covers everything from scratch and is up to date?

You could start with the official React documentation. It’s quite good and almost certaintly up to date.

30 Days of React is also good, up to date option.

For Redux, it’s creator (Dan Abramov) offers a free course. Check it our here.

Wes Bos also has free Redux course that you can check out here. While you’re reviewing Wes Bos’s Redux course, you can also check out his premium React course.

I would suggest finding a good ES6 tutorial and then finding a React/Redux tutorial instead of seeking an all encompassing (ES6 --> React --> Redux) course.

If your JavaScript fundamentals are on deck, I can reccomend this free course by Laravel to learn the most relevant ES6 features quickly.

Alternatively, you could do three separate course ES6, React, Redux. That might be a better choice so you can focus on learning how to use React without worrying about state management with Redux. Then, once you have a firm grasp of React, you could get into Redux and perhaps have a better understanding of why Redux exists and how it makes React a more powerful tool.

Any React course that doesn’t cover JSX is probably not worth your time.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Jumping in hope to make some clarification, since this is (in my opinion) a very common mistakes many people does when approaching react for the first time:

overlapping the “core” react library, with the most famous library often used together with it.

You do not need Redux to use React,
You do not need React-Router to use React,
You do not need Immutable.js to use React,
[…]

However what you certainly do need to have before diving into React is a good proficiency in javascript.
Especially you need an understanding of its latest form ES6.
(and to an extent ES7, some library like MobX have on their main page examples with decorators).

My suggestion is giving this github page a read: modern-js-cheatsheet before diving in.

Then, as @georgebullock suggested probably the official documentation is still the most up-to-date resource you have…

Use it to build something.

Once you have a good sense of how to use React, you can then dive into some of the most popular libraries :slight_smile:

Or at least this are my two cents…
Happy Coding.

Previously: Resources for Learning React/Redux and Best Udemy Course to learn React and Node?

My vote, mentioned in the links, is Andrew Mead’s Udemy course. That’s when React clicked for me.

Yup that’s right. That’s the direction in which I am trying to go.

Yes the docs are really good. I am done with the tic tac toe app. Now I’m looking forward to building real world apps so that I can put them up on my portfolio and get an internship :slight_smile: hopefully.

I recently read about this book 'The complete guide to react js and friends’
Is anyone using it currently? Does anyone know if it’s worth the price :see_no_evil:?( As a student it looks really costly to me.)

I don’t believe that a student should have to purchase a book in order to learn. Help is freely available when you search for it. I’m sure that’s how most of us campers became interested in freeCodeCamp.

You’ve been shown some awesome resources. As @georgebullock stated, 30 Days of React is a great resource. And I think the React documentation is among the clearest out there.

Check those out first. There are also a couple of good YouTube videos.

We’re looking forward to seeing what you will create next.

Thank you @KoniKodes @georgebullock @JacksonBates @Marmiz for insights. I really appreciate the info you provided. Please keep posting about awesome courses here. :slight_smile:
I’m looking forward to 30 days of React for now.

In my experience, Learning React is the best book that you don’t want to miss. This book is perfect for absolute React beginners as it is really progressive, introducing each concept one at a time. Moreover it uses really simple examples so you are not lost in a bunch of irrelevant code and are not frustrated by not understanding it. It is technically accurate, well written and seems to have benefited from a good proof reading. Good logical progression, fast read, and easy to follow.

1 Like