Got A fully Remote Job

I got a job offer from a software company that develops e-commerce websites using a popular CMS. It’s not my first dev job, it’s the 4th in 2 years. If you’re wondering why I hopped jobs in past years it’s because I moved countries after having my first year-long dev internship, then I worked contract jobs with local startups before deciding to take a 3-months vacation from the stress of life in general.

Anywho, I started looking for jobs earlier this months and applied for 1 or 2 (I am very picky and have some circumstances that would not allow me to commit full-time for longer than 3 months). Also, I wanted my next job to be a stable one (i.e. not with a startup) and last longer than a year for the sake of my resume and my pleasure.

Luckily, a recruiter reached out to me on linkedin after seeing my profile and website, and got me talking with some engineers on his company’s team who needed a React developer with interests in DevOps. They seemed to like me and I fit their technical criteria almost perfectly. And offered me a fulltime remote job.

I am SUPER excited! Even though the CMS they deal with is php-based, a new version of it provided a PWA + GraphQL framework with React+Redux which I learned via FCC and practiced in my previous job.

I am basically tasked with creating a custom React template and document the process and the architecture, and provide an automated process. Might sounds scary to some people, but I love it and I know exactly the challenges and my strengths and weaknesses after doing sooo many projects and dealing so many different forms of documentations in the past years.

After learning to code on FCC and getting into the industry, I’ve quickly decided that as I grow as a developer I man to become a Software Architect (CTO material) later in my career. I think this is a VERY good first step and I hope I don’t screw it up.

And I get to do it without leaving the house!

Just had to share my excitement with our amazing community :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Congrats on the new job!

Thanks! :slight_smile:

I’m just wondering how the full remote Job is going? You’ve introduced me to a new term, “software Architect”. I’m learning every day!

2 Likes

It’s going great so far. I cannot stress how much I enjoy the work from home lifestyle, although it comes with its own set of challenges.

My biggest challenge was trying to stay fit and active. I did let myself go at first but once it started affecting my energy levels I got into a morning workout routine and a healthy diet.

The other thing is eye fatigue. In a normal office job, you get many mandatory breaks from staring at a screen via commuting, meetings, and even talking to colleagues. This remote work though, everything work related is on screen. The eye strain is unreal. I had to get blue light glasses, and consciously take breaks from looking at the screen. Worst thing about it is that after work I usually can’t stand looking at my laptop screen to do things I wanna do like FCC’s projects, my own projects, and just browsing in general.

All that being said, it’s a good experience overall and I still am learning new things everyday.

P.S. if you’re interested in being a “Software Architect” I suggest you get your hands dirty with cloud services like AWS and Azure. They take a long time to master.

1 Like