Got full stack certificate, what's next?

So i completed curriculum in 81 days (slightly more than intended 75, thanks my procrastination) and… what’s next?
I got lots of theoretical and practical knowledge, no doubt, but is it enough? Feels like it isn’t. Like i’m missing a lot of crucial details, like traditional relational databases and SQL, PHP, FTP, unix and linux, git and github, terminal, working with CMS, text editors, working with real server, setting up local server, starting from scratch and i don’t even know what else i don’t know.
Basically, i lacking real experience, the real real one.

Some background: I’m 19 year old guy who really likes computers, internet, math and programming, and has no social skills, no friends, no income and little to no parental support. I was graduated from high school, but wasn’t able to go to uni.
As i remember now, i wrote my first hello world in 2015, but didn’t really progress until approx. a year ago, when i graduated, failed uni, and was given 1 year to find a job until financial support is cut. From then i started to self-educate myself. I learned everything that could be useful: calculus, linear algebra, math logic, algorithms. Then more specific topics, like Python scripting, pointers, data structures, C, OOP and FP, writing more advanced programs (in fact advanced hello worlds). After all this i leaned towards web-development, although i knew nothing about it, stumbled upon FCC… and now i have FCC Full Stack Cert.
That’s sad that i didn’t start self-education earlier, i was a slacker, but i can’t change the past.

My goal is to be self-taught, self-employed or work remotely, and of course, earn enough money to not die (In my country with my lifestyle it will be like $350+ per month or something).

Is it achievable right now? I know about a few freelance websites, both worldwide and local to my country, but i’m either not sure that i will be able to do the work right, or that i will be able to do the work at all. Every time i look at the tasks, i realize how little i still know. Moreover, i have no right to fail, which is at least stressful, and at most will ruin my reputation.

So, main questions: after FCC, what should i further learn before i will be able to work, how can i get “the real real experience”, or if there are jobs i can apply for right now, where can i find such jobs and how to apply for them?

If you want to start having a feel for working on a big project with others, you can contribute to FreeCodeCamp itself - it is open source - and it will give you experience on git and GitHub and setting up a local environment

Or to others open source projects, example: https://www.freecodecamp.org/nonprofits/

There is nothing stopping you from getting real experience right now, you just need to know where to look, or know where to start.
Like @ilenia said, you can contribute to FCC, or any open source project you would like to be familiar with. Or I personally recommend building something yourself, and learn as you go.

• Want to learn relational databases, try to use one with the knowledge you know.
  • Want to learn Linux, try dual boot your laptop
  • Want to learn how to use the terminal, then try todo as much daily tasks/dev-work in it

Most of the things you still want to learn are free, and only cost time and effort. No reasons to not learn them, but just because you don’t know something doesn’t mean you can’t try to use it and learn as you go.

Don’t be afraid of failure, or not knowing something, embrace it! If you find yourself not knowing something, see it as an opportunity to learn and improve.

Don’t sit around and try to learn everything tho, I’d apply to jobs now as well.
There is nothing stopping you from applying to all the jobs. Setup an account on job sites and apply all the positions you want. (Even ones you don’t think you are close to being qualified for). Just search up “job sites for developers” or something and create accounts on all of them. Lots of companies are always looking for Entry Level Developers, the jobs are out there.
The only thing applying usually costs is time and effort. I recommend applying as soon as possible, even if you don’t feel “ready”. A shotgun method works better than “waiting”, because you aren’t sure what recruiters are looking for exactly, and the best way to find out is to apply, get rejected and ask why. You will get answers on why you get passed up, and then you can focus on that area of your skills.
So more you apply, the more rejections (and potentially offers) you will receive, which is more feedback than you would ever get if you just waited.

Your welcome to try freelancing, but whenever money is involved be sure to explain your situation clearly (limited experience), this will make sure all parties are on the same page.

Good luck :smiley:

PS. Being able to complete the curriculum in less than 100 days is an impressive task. Learning other topics shouldn’t be too bad (like git, github, terminal, etc) so just jump in and start trying to use them, read guides on setting it up, what they are etc.

1 Like