Happy to say, that I got my first job offer/trainee position . The company is a Digital and marketing agency. They do commercials, graphic designs and some basic websites.
My role will be graphic design and basic webpage development (HTML5, CSS, JS). Basically I was offered a type of a paid apprenticeship, where I work full time, but am supervised by a mentor. The duration is 3 months, after which they will offer me a full time position (if I deliver, that is ).
I started FCC 4 months ago. Since then I have done the HTML and basic JS parts. I also completed the beginners JS tutorials on Mozilla Developer Network. I am currently working through a PHP from scratch tutorial on Udemy. I am also finishing up my bachelors in Design and Textile engineering and have been laid off from my sales job 3 months ago. So I have decided (with the financial support of my significant other) to focus on CS rather than seek out another retail job and also focus on finishing school. All in all I had no real experience working in the design or IT industry.
What got me the opportunity?
- I sent out a highly graphic CV (adapted one of those photoshop templates)
- My motivational letter stated I am willing to learn and looking for new challenges
- I would say they liked my weird mix of graphic design skills and basic programming. Most designers (Slovenia : Europe - where I live) only design, but lack the execution part of web design.
- We talked through my previous experience (some wordpress sites, various company designs, SEO optimisation…) and how I tackled the challenges.
- Most of all they liked my self-learning approach. They said, they are looking for someone who will solve different challenges and learn new things as need arises.
- Language skills: I speak 3 foreign languages (English being one of them)
All in all I am very happy. I will be able to learn new skills in a real job environment, earn a small living and continue my web development DIY-ing. So I feel I will finally kickstart my learning.
Many thanks to Free Code Camp, for all the technical support but most important the spark of hope! I start this Friday, so wish me luck!