Got my first dev job!

After 18 months of learning to code, I just landed my first dev job with a small agency. They build websites, web apps and hybrid mobile apps. I’m really excited about it. But also a little anxious. Another junior started there a few weeks ago so I have someone to grow / feel dumb with!

My interview process was stupidly straightforward. I applied, linked them to my site, and was invited in for an interview on Friday. The interview lasted about 20 minutes and on Monday was offered the job :smiley: Reading that job offer email felt AMAZING.

I studied politics at university, and had no idea what to do after graduation. I loved computers, but figured learning to talk to one would be an insurmountable task. And yeah, it was definitely the hardest thing I’ve done, and pretty much the first time I’ve really applied myself to something and stuck at it.

Now I have a promising career which I’m really excited about. I feel so lucky and so optimistic about the future. So for anyone else out there who is doubting themselves (story of my life), keep working hard because it will pay off!

47 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to post here James.

What did you study during those 18 months?

Good work! Always good to hear a success story (especially after a Friday night of frustrating job applications…)

1 Like

Feelings motivated after listening your story.As you said you just stick on coding and after 18 months you got a job.From your story I learned that Hard work+focusing on one thing till the end can make us successful in any any field

1 Like

Congrats @jamesgraham . I’m just starting out so I have some good things to look forward and a reminder to stick with it.

Congratulations. Glad to hear that your 18 months of hard work payed off. @jamesgraham I am always curious to know about other people’s learning process. What can you tell us about how you learned, what decisions you made on what and how to study and so on?

Congratulations and all the best for your career! :slight_smile:

Congratulations ^^

The only advice I can give you is this video: You graduated from bootcamp, now what?.
That can help you ^^

1 Like

CONGRATS @jamesgraham! :slight_smile:

Congratulations to you!! Your story motivated me so much, I definitely needed to hear this, it just made me want to continue to push till I get there. It’s not an easy route but consistency and dedication is key! Thanks again for sharing, congratulations once more and the best of luck to you! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Congratulations! It’s certainly encouraging to hear success stories from time to time, they provide that external motivation and show that it is worth it in the end.

Awesome James! I wish you all the best with the new job.:raised_hands:

Awesome, congratulations!!! I’m unemployed now and I really really hope to find a job with design and/or development. I’m very happy for you, it gives me hope I can find a job too!

Congrats man! I’m sure that you will be just fine in your new job!

Congratulations!!! @jamesgraham and thank you for the inspirational words :slight_smile:

@jamesgraham Congrats! :slight_smile: If you don’t mind, can you post a link to your website so we can see what a good portfolio should look like?

@AmirF27 I’m bumping his comment, I’d like to see it too!

Thanks for everyones kind comments! I’ll do a proper writeup about how I prepared / learned etc over the weekend, and also how my first week has been so far! (spoiler alert: scary but great!). My portfolio is here @AmirF27 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Some really awesome advice! :smiley:

1 Like

Congrats @jamesgraham . Wish you all the best with your journey!

1 Like