Got my first dev job!

Amazing!! Bro!! It really inspires me to be more creative doing the work consistently growing!!

Congrats @jamesgraham its inspiring to see your success story. Hope I ll be able to share my success story someday soon. :slight_smile:

Congratulations @jamesgraham :smiley:

Congrats @jamesgraham! I’m going through the application process now. How many applications did you send out before landing this offer?

Congratulations James!

I feel so inspired after reading your story!
I’m looking forward to your blog about what you’ve learned and prepared.
Maybe you can also write something about how to become a full-stack SE and how to build a portfolio website.

best regards!

Great Job @jamesgraham
How is it so far after a month? What type of pay did you get offered? What is your workflow consits of?
Thanks for sharing if possible

Inspiring story, I’m very happy for you.

I too graduated with a degree in politics recently.

Thanks for the motivation. Good luck.

Congratulations on the new job! Your story and the others I am seeing from this site gives me inspiration.

Congrats on the new position!

I am excited to one day be in your position.

Oh nice, congratulations! I bet it feels great to get that payoff after all the time you invested in learning to code

Hey @drewcodes I sent out 4 applications before getting the offer. I got one outright rejection, in another interview I got to the last round of three, and then I had another interview lined up but I was offered this job, so yeah, 4 in total. Luckily the job I got was in the town I live in, but I was preparing to relocate to London but thankfully I didn’t have to.

Hi @shreddric. So in general it feels very different to learning at home and working on your own projects. We are a small software agency and most of our work is either API work with Laravel, or hybrid mobile app builds with Ionic. In our next projects we’ll be starting with Ionic2 and Angular2 which is really cool. I feel super lucky, as these are exactly the skills I wanted to get better at. The large codebases (some of which are bloated and badly written after changing hands multiple times) are definitely intimidating at first, but you get used to it. I definitely feel like I’ve cultivated an attitude of getting things done since I started, rather than taking ages and focusing on the perfect solution. The experience as a whole has been overwhelming, but not overly so. I feel like I’m really slow compared to everyone else, but I’ve decided to let everyone else decide if that’s a problem, rather than worrying about it myself. I’ve had good feedback from my superiors, so I’m happy. I’ve also been playing catchup outside of work, trying to learn more in depth the tech were using at work. I think this is definitely a good idea, because you can’t really sit at work and watch tutorials (awesome as they are). In general whenever I do feel a bit burned out, I step back and realise how cool the job is. We get paid to sit and play with code. It’s awesome. :smiley: In terms of pay it’s an average junior salary for my area. Which is fine.

2 Likes

congratualisation :smiley: