Got my first Job Offer!

Hey all,
I applied to a front-end/full-stack dev job and after a phone screening got invited for a technical interview. The next day (yesterday) I got a call that they want to offer me the job! It was my first job application so wasn’t attached much to the outcome, but am obviously delighted they offered it to me.

I’m sure you all read stories on how people got to the point of getting a job, so I won’t bore you with how much time I put into it and what technologies I learned.

In the end the one thing that most helped me become good at coding is helping others to learn how to code. Early on I started frequenting the Gitter help rooms and by helping people who have less experience I sharpened my own knowledge. In the beginning I often had to look up things on MDN to understand why other people’s code wasn’t working, which really cemented my knowledge as I explained it to them. “To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.” is really true.

Putting in the time and energy really helped me become a better code, so I couldn’t have done it without this community. I’m so happy I found it by chance.

It was the first job I applied to. The company is working in the Solar Energy sector, so I’m looking forward to contribute to a good cause along the way as well.

I was quite selective with choosing the job I applied to, I didn’t want to go work in a coding factory with a huge team. I don’t like too many layers in an organization. I feel that now I’ll be working in a team of 5 I’ll have the opportunity to learn a lot that is difficult to learn when working on your own projects and really look forward to this.

120 Likes

Congratulations on your job offer!

Being one of the campers I see the most in the help javascript channel I’m really glad to see you’re getting something back :smile:

And to all the others reading this, consider that the time you’re dedicating to helping others not only is helping you as explained in this post, but could also be added in curriculum and cover letters and hopefully helps you stand out both as a coder and a person.

Good luck on all your future coding challenges.

10 Likes

Congratulations on your job offer!

Thank you for all the time and energy you’ve invested in helping campers in the Gitter chat rooms.

I’m thrilled to hear all that teaching helped you solidify your own understanding of these concepts.

So to be clear, this was the first job you applied to?

17 Likes

Congrats @forkerino this is very true MDN is a must multiple times a day everyday as is helping other campers! I look forward to consistently spending more time in Gitter chat!

1 Like

Thanks! Putting in the time and energy really helped me become a better code, so I couldn’t have done it without this community. I’m so happy I found it by chance.

It was indeed the first job I applied to. The company is working in the Solar Energy sector, so I’m looking forward to contribute to a good cause along the way as well.

edit: I was quite selective with choosing the job I applied to, I didn’t want to go work in a coding factory with a huge team. I don’t like too many layers in an organization. I feel that now I’ll be working in a team of 5 I’ll have the opportunity to learn a lot that is difficult to learn when working on your own projects and really look forward to this.

10 Likes

Do it! It has been the one thing that turned me from a smart person who can solve puzzles to a person that can express himself in code and explain it to others. It has helped me progress much faster than I could on my own.

2 Likes

Congratulations and thanks for sharing your expirience!

3 Likes

Congratulations @forkerino!

Also want to thank you for the countless times you have helped me :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s awesome! I love that helping others helped solidify your knowledge. I will have to do that as well, once I get a little more knowledge under my belt, as I’m still super fresh. Quesion, what is MDN?

1 Like

MDN is Mozilla Developer Network, they provide great documentation on JS/HTML/CSS, they are often under the helpful links in the exercises.

4 Likes

Congratulations…! @forkerino and all the best!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your views but could you tell the technologies you learned while your entire preparation.

1 Like

Congrats! It’s always good to hear others achieving their goals.

3 Likes

At this point I’m solid when it comes to JS. I’ve learned some Node/Express/Mongo and React/Redux, but cannot say I’m an expert in them just yet. For this job I’ll be working in Angular, but that wasn’t a necessity, just ability to learn fast, and read docs well.

3 Likes

Congratulations! I hope to get to say that soon!!!

2 Likes

Congrats man! Thanks for the times you’ve helped me!

2 Likes

Because, I am looking for my next job too!

That’s great, man! Congrats on living the dream!

2 Likes

Awesome news. Well done :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow! That is fantastic. Congrats on the job offer!

1 Like