Group Project - Attendance Log

Who would be interested in participating in building out a project as a group, for the group?

The project would be an Attendance Log for our in-person meetups. It’s basic functionality will be to allow meetup point-person to check in the attendees of their meetups. It would have a few data analytics features like being able to see each group members meeting numbers (how many meetups attended), leaderboard (most meetups attended), attendance over time (for all meetups and by day), and anything else we can think of that might be useful/interesting to see.

I will be working up a detailed spec of what the first version of the app should provide.

The roles needed are as follows and we can have multiple people in any one role:

• Project Manager
  • Build-and-Release Engineer
  • Lead Developer
  • Developer
  • Lead UI/UX Designer
  • UI/UX Designer
  • Lead QA Engineer
  • QA Engineer

We will develop this as open source software and who knows maybe other study groups/meetups will end up using it.

If you are interested in participating please comment with the role you are interested in.

1 Like

Ooohhh I would definitely be down to do this!

I’d love to do project management and/or development.

1 Like

This is a great idea! Please sign me up as a developer

2 Likes

You can add me to UI/UX Design group.

1 Like

Looks like we have enough people interested to get started. Let’s do this!

Stay tuned, I’ll have more info regarding next steps shortly, hopefully sometime tomorrow or Friday, but Saturday at the latest.

1 Like

Hi Everyone,

I put together this repository that we can use to start developing for this project.

For now, I’d like you all to review this Roadmap file. I put together what I think would be the necessary features for a minimal viable product. Let’s all discuss the MVP requirements so we’re all on the same page. Consider this a request for comments in terms of those requirements. Do you think I missed something? Included to much for the first iteration? If you have thoughts on future features we can jot those down, but for now those aren’t as important as nailing down the initial MVP.

After we discuss the initial requirements I would like for @Ruchika-Roy to choose a tool to manage the project so we can start managing and tracking next steps.

@intaglioplate I’d like for you to start thinking about the UI designs of the various screens we will need based upon the initial functionality required.

@SilverNemesis and @regioncoder, once initial requirements are discussed and finalized we should probably get together (at one of the meetups or virtually) to discuss/plan the API that we will be building out. Then we can carve out pieces that we can individually develop.

As far as what languages/tools we use to develop we can discuss that here as well.

Everyone please respond here with your thoughts/ideas, not only regarding the requirements but also note if you are happy with the roles/activities I carved out above. This is all open for discussion.

If you’d like to add to or suggest removing something from the roadmap feel free to mention it here or if you’re comfortable with github make a pull request.

I think that the MVP seems just right from a features standpoint. That being said, I think it could use a target platform. I am thinking web application, and that any other platforms would be future enhancements.

The future features overlap with what I was thinking as I read the MVP, so I am totally on the same page.

I also agree with the lower priority on coming up with additional features. Mainly because I think that once we start using the MVP we will naturally come up with more features based on that experience.

As far as my role goes, I got exactly what I requested, so I’m happy.

As far as the languages and tools used for development goes, I am really flexible. But we should consider the projects hosting requirements, whatever those might be. So perhaps that needs a discussion as well.

1 Like

I think an “Add to calendar” feature would be a good idea for the future too.

For PM, Trello is great for smaller teams like this. I can set up a Kanban board and link this repository. I’m out of town till Friday without a laptop but I’ll do what I can in the meantime.

1 Like

Hi! I’m Kathleen. I’m a couple days late and a newbie, but I would really like the chance to contribute to this project. I have gone through the lessons for Responsive Web Design, and I am currently in the Data Science Boot Camp at Northwestern University. Not sure what I could contribute yet, but I look forward to chatting about it and learning from y’all throughout the process!

1 Like

I will have a few more questions but the first is
Does any one have an opinion or preference on whether just listing views to meet the MVP, or do we need calendar and listings from the start?
Thanks,
Helen

1 Like

Don, yes, this will be a web application for the MVP. I’ll be sure to update the roadmap with this info as soon as I get a chance.

In the future we could have desktop, mobile, smart watch, or who knows what other platforms for the front-end. Web app is definitely where we’ll start though because it fits with the curriculum theme of freeCodeCamp.

I really value your opinion in regard to languages and tools. I think out of all of us, you seem the most in the trenches day-to-day with many of these technologies. The only thing that I’d like to play a part in the decision is that the language/tool has to be covered by freeCodeCamp, so I’m leaning towards the MERN stack (MongoDB, Node + Express, React + Redux). What are your thoughts here?

Thanks Ruchi, that sounds good. I’m not sure how much steam we’ll get behind this this week so I think we can wait until you return.

Hi Kathleen, happy to have you onboard. We can see where you might be able to fill in. I plan to split the coding tasks into small chunks where possible, so if there are ever any tasks you see that you are comfortable fielding or that you feel up to the challenge to take on, just let me know. We can always use doc writers and testers as well, which anyone can take on.

We’re still in planning mode so just stay tuned here in this thread for more details coming soon.

1 Like

Helen, definitely just a listing view for the MVP. We want to start as small and simply as possible for the MVP, but calendar views are definitely something we will need to add to the near term roadmap once the MVP is developed and stable.

My thoughts are in line with yours. Using the freeCodeCamp stack is an excellent fit for anyone already on that learning track.

Also, we know that we can host that stack for free.

Plus, I like all those technologies. :smile:

1 Like

Thank you, and will do!

After the user marks the will be attending, would they also mark themselves “present” on the event date or is that tracked by the admin?

I think it’d be best if the admin marks the attendees as present. That way, we can also see the number of people who show up vs the number who said they would attend .

Ruchi and I are thinking along the same lines. A user can RSVP to a meeting, but only an admin would be able to mark a user has present. Later down the road we might also need the concept of roles where any user can be a meeting leader and have the capability to mark an RSVP as present.

If everyone else is onboard I’m hoping we can hash out some details and get the ball rolling on this project at today’s meetup.

I won’t be at the Meetup, but I’ll get a Kanban board setup for project management so you can use it.