Guide To The Forum's Badges

While trying to earn the badges, I’ve discovered that the path to attain each badge is not always clear. This guide will be a work in progress as I earn badges and document the criteria, and based on your feedback.

You can see the list of badges here.

Bronze Badges

• Go to your profile and fill out the “About Me” section.

• Nobody has ever earned this badge, so it’s probably never been fully implemented.

• When you first join the freeCodeCamp Forum, you’ll get an email from @discobot. Reply to his (her?) email and follow the steps. If you accidentally on purpose deleted the email, go to your profile under the messages tab and create a new message. Address it to @discobot and type @discobot start new user and send the message. Follow the interactive tutorial to the end to earn this badge.

• Edit one of your posts.

• Use an emoji like :grinning: in a post.

• Flag an inappropriate post: image
  • Note: Do NOT flag a post just to earn this badge; make sure any post you flag really deserves it.

• Click the heart to like somebody’s post or reply: image

• Posts will have a button that you can use to get a direct link to that post: image
  • Insert that link into any new post or reply you create.

• Use the @ symbol in a post to tag another user.

• Post a link on its own line in a post you create.

When replying to a post, copy a section of the original post that you think is relative to your reply and paste it into your reply. The blockquotes will be there automagically.

• Nobody has ever earned this badge. I thought I had figured it out, but I didn’t earn the badge for my efforts.

• Click on the link button on a post: image
  • Click the Facebook or Twitter icon to share the post.

• Granted to two new users each month for assorted acts of awesomeness.

• Find a post with over 100 replies and read them all.
  • Each original post will show how many replies and how long it should take to read the whole thread.
  • I assume you’ll need to stay at least that much time scrolling through the replies to earn the badge. I know I didn’t earn it by rapidly scrolling to the bottom. Can anybody confirm?

Create at least 20 posts (replies or new topics) that each earn at least one like.

• Visit the freeCodeCamp Forum 10 days in a row.
  • To see how many days in a row you’ve visited, go to your profile and click the Summary tab.

• Share a freeCodeCamp Forum post with the outside world (e.g. Facebook or Twitter) and get 25 unique outside visitors that click on it.

10 Likes

If you click on them you can see more information.

For example:

All badges are automatic, not something that admins or moderators mess with.

If you’re interested in features or behavior of Discourse forums, check out https://meta.discourse.org/

3 Likes

Thanks. I have clicked on those. Some are superunhelpful like Camper and some are unclear like Certified, that we’ve already talked about, that doesn’t tell you where to find the tutorial. Kind of embarrassed I didn’t look at the New User description. :flushed:

3 Likes

Very helpful information. I got my first 2 badges following this guide! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes