Has anyone Over their mid 30s with NO experience actually gotten a Job?

Wow, even after the degree they were questioning your age… tough crowd!

Glad to see it all worked out in the end.

1 Like

Yeah, recruiters often question the age, if you are not a 20 year old fresh out of the university and it’s a wrong mentality. In a perfect world, it should be about your work ethic, experience (not just as a software developer) and projects that you built, but we don’t live in that perfect world so…but it’s never enough to say to don’t quit a dream!

1 Like

Web industry presents themselves as creative and forward thinking. How many companies explicitly state their commitment to diversity? Is diversity just their code word for sexual orientation? Why is age such a factor in comparing candidates? Why can’t people be evaluated for their skill and how they will contribute and compliment the team?

I’m a person and a developer, not a number! If you have an opportunity or influence hiring decisions, speak up – you are either part of the problem or part of the solution.

2 Likes

Well, to start, im 37 now. im not old, but i know damn well i was learning a LOT faster when i was 20. next, i have 2 kids, i like to see and play with them once in a while. also, they need food, so i need to work. in the end, there isnt that much time left to study. Every minute needs to be used. and i did. but it still took me 2 years. and like gilbert1391 also says, not much of a social life.

i was lucky to have someone on the chat who knew a lot, and got me unstuck a lot. Now, im doing the same for a few others. Cause, i just hated those moments when i was really really stuck and i couldnt find it.

now im passing it forward.
Balancing my karma…

4 Likes

Hi there, I did got a front end job in January 2019 at age of 31. I did studied international business/economics , I had no technical education what so ever, All I learned was from FCC and Udemy courses (Colt Steel - web dev bootcamp and Reece Kenney - PHP social site). Still I was learning to code for last 2 years, in mast year i did some freelancing work - building company website, doing membership sites in PHP.
I appliled in December for 4 posiiton, mostly front end junior position. One company already find a candidate and for other 3 i went for interviews, just oral interview. There no technical interviews, for one position they asked me to learn REACT and try to code a demo app according to requiremens and for another position I did 2 hour tutorial on LESS and did a small demosite, to show them I know LESS. The only screening from employers was just the oral intrviews itself and I also showed and dicussed with them my portfolio projects on my website.
From these 3 positions I got all 3 of them. It was all abouth showing motivation and enthusiasm (watch some TONY ROBBINS motivation clips on Youtube for that, I REALLY HELPS).
I managed to learn a lot for last 2 years, but i think i was ready already a year ago. But I felt I needed even more skills and went for some freelance work to get more items into my portfolio.
You can get a job after 3 monts of learning at FCC or any bootcamp almost anywhere, if you live in a city with over 200 000 inhabitans, but I would be a junior position for a decent pay. Getting job is TOTALLY doable. There are succesful governmental programmes, which manage to take unemployed miners and get them web developer jobs after 3 months. You might need to swith jobs after a year in order to get same pay as a CS graduate with 1 years of experience. Fingers crossed :wink:

5 Likes

Hi, I’m past my mid-30s and got my first developer role just under a year ago :slight_smile:. I had gotten frustrated with my scientific career and its lack of direction, so started learning how to write code. I loved it so much that when my last research role came to an end in March 2017, I took on learning how to write code full-time for about 10 months. I started off with the front end stuff in FCC, but then moved on to learning React (via various courses on Udemy), refactoring one of my FCC projects into a React/Redux web app so that I could showcase my React knowledge. I also shared the code for other FCC projects on Github. I extended the FCC portfolio project and deployed a simple page that showcased some of the projects I’d done.

In January 2018 I started looking for a junior developer role. I updated my profile on LinkedIn and joined a number of different job sites. I applied for roles and also got calls from a lot of recruitment consultants. I was invited to do a phone interview and subsequent code test for a company, which I bombed out on (but which was ultimately a good learning experience, which I posted about here: Code Test Expectations for Junior Developer Roles ).

Shortly after that, I got a phone call from a lovely recruiter named Steven. He said he knew of a company in my area that I might be well-suited for. Their tech stack included React and Node.js, which was of immediate appeal. He said that while they weren’t looking for junior developers, he’d put me forward anyway and see if there was any chance they’d talk to me. I was in luck - one of the CEOs agreed to meet with me.

The interview was great, and also very informal, which suited me very well. I also spoke to one of their senior developers, who’d had a look at my code on Github and was pretty happy with what he’d seen. At the end of the interview, I was told that they would love to have me, but that they were hoping to recruit a few more senior devs first, so that I might have more support, which at the time they couldn’t guarantee.

In the meantime, I had a face-to-face with another company, whom were keen to have me back for a second interview. However, I really wanted to work for the other company, so contacted Steven to see what he could do. The short answer is that they offered me a role, and I’m loving it. I started off doing very basic stuff, like writing documentation on how to set up all the required software a new user would need when joining the company, learning how to write snapshot tests in Jest, learning how to use Postman, etc. I then moved onto a commercial project, starting off on bug fixes and then moving onto adding new features as the client requested them. I recently had an appraisal and am being promoted up a level. I’m still a junior, but am making progress, which is the main thing.

I’ve found from my experience so far that enthusiasm, self-motivation and a desire to learn is key. It also helps to have good ‘soft skills’ and to be open to having your code critiqued by someone more experienced than you.

Hope all goes well for you, and if you have any specific questions, I’m happy to try and answer them :slight_smile:

23 Likes

Wow! What an amazing experience. I also read your post about the technical interview. That’s probably one of the things that scare me the most. I can only imagine the pressure and the stress; what an emotional roller coaster that most have been. I’m not a “quick” thinker so I’m always afraid of stuff that tests me to think on the spot.

But congrats on getting the job and getting so many people interested. You mentioned linkedIn, how did you show your coding knowledge on that platform, so much so, to get recruiters to look at you? You had a job at the same time you were coding? Also, Did the potential employers not say anything about your past work experience that had nothing to do with coding?

Thanks for sharing!

P.S. Was the Udemy course on React pretty good in comparison to FCC’s? I’m doing React/Redux on FCC and I feel pretty lost.

3 Likes

I started at age 34 and I had no experience in coding and after 6 months I was able to develop websites for startup companies at a pay

8 Likes

Congrats on the first job. QA is a great beachhead, and will give you a lot of exposure to a lot of topics as you progress. Have fun, and keep us posted on how things go. I’d love to read a longer writeup about your coding journey when you hit your next milestone :+1:

8 Likes

Awesome! Congrats on successfully launching your consulting career.

This is something a ton of people ask about. When you have time, consider writing a post with the tips, resources, lessons learned - all that related to freelancing. I think a ton of people would find it helpful.

4 Likes

Thanks for the congrats and absolutely no problem sharing. I remember wondering if I would ever get a job and if my gamble to switch career would pay off. I wanted to share my experience because if I can do it, then so can others.

Oh the technical interview was definitely scary, and I felt like I’d been dropped right in it! I can totally understand your comment about not being a “quick” thinker. From what I’ve heard though, technical tests vary widely, and not everyone expects you to finish off a code task over a weekend. Interestingly, some people, like my current employer, aren’t even interested in technical tests as they find them a bit forced and don’t think people will necessarily perform their best.

To address your questions:

1. LinkedIn - I added FCC to my LinkedIn profile and described the projects I’d worked on. I also included a summary of my code skills, a link to my portfolio page, a link to my github account and a link to the project that I’d re-built in React. The React knowledge and demonstration of that was a huge factor in getting the attention of recruiters. I also mentioned ‘other’, transferable skills that I’d picked up from my previous work experience, and was open about the fact that I was coming from a scientific background, which leads to the next point…

2. Past work experience - I was a bit nervous about how a prospective employer would feel about my past work experience, but it turned out to be fine. I think they appreciated the fact that I’d had previous professional experience, and could take a mature approach. I did also sell any skills that I’d picked up from my previous experience that I thought would be relevant (eg problem solving, a logical approach and being able to work in a team). They did ask why I was switching career, and again, I was open about that. I wondered how people would take that, but I was pleasantly surprised by how interested and enthusiastic people were. Looking back, I think the honesty about where I was coming from and where I wanted to go was very much appreciated and an important factor in getting put forward for roles.

3. Learning React - I came across a couple of great React instructors on Udemy (React wasn’t available on FCC when I was learning, so I can’t say how they compare). One guy in particular, Maximilian Schwarzmüller, is brilliant. I did his course on React 16 (which he’s since updated to 16.6), and it really helped me to understand React and Redux, as the explanations of the concepts were really thorough. I was able to take that knowledge and refactor/build my own projects with greater confidence. Stephen Grider also does some good stuff, and might also be worth looking at for consolidating React/Redux skills.

Just to clarify, I did have a job when I started learning to code, but when that came to an end, I dedicated time to just learning code for 10 months. I started looking for work in January of last year (I think I put Jan 2017 in my original post :roll_eyes: - forgot it’s now 2019, lol).

Anyway, I hope that’s a help. All the best :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Thanks again for the detailed explanation. It’s definitely motivating to hear these practical steps you took and how you were able to overcome the obstacles. I’ll add them on my to-do list (definitely I’m going to have to improve me github/LinkedIn, I wasn’t sure how to go about it before this post… and then I’ll have figure out a good “excuse” on why I want to change careers).

Thanks a lot and hope you’re enjoying your work so far.

1 Like

I concur with the “not an easy road” notion.

My hunch is our internal insecurities hamper us more than the external obstacles.

2 Likes

Yes, I got my first job age 43. No technical background. It took about 18 months hard work.

The industry is crying out for good coders, but you need to be able to demonstrate that you can do it to a good standard. Creating a great portfolio should be your first concern. Do as many of the FCC projects as you can, but especially the full stack projects. If you can complete and deploy at least 3 full stack projects with clean code, plus another half dozen front end projects, then you will be ready.

Lots of people will give you advice about LinkedIn and going to meetups and contributing to open source. All of these are nice-to-haves, but they shouldn’t get in the way of learning to code.

The FCC map is a great start, but don’t feel bound to it. Try Angular as well as React. Learn some SQL. Learn some Typescript. And definitely learn Git. But above all, make sure your Javascript is really sharp (up to date with ES6, but dont worry about ES7+). Do algorithm problems until your eyes bleed. They will 'give you a coder’s brain. And make sure your CSS is strong enough that you can produce a commercially marketable responsive website.

8 Likes

Hi I started an associates degree in internet technology about a year and a half ago. till I realized it was not teaching me anything. Then I decided to pursue Open Source Learning. I am 42 years at the moment. In my country there are not a whole lot of jobs for programmers and even fewer who do it. For me it is a skill that I can leverage on to make my own job for myself.

BTW I am a chartered accountant. So the answer is that I do not know. I do not think there are the $100,000 USD jobs anymore for people like me and most companies in the US may not be willing to sponsor overseas workers.

So if there is no job for you I guess necessity forces you to make your own.

Thanks for the good advice.

Any recommendations on where to learn the other stuff not available on FCC?

Thanks again.

That’s a great attitude to have! If you can’t find a job, make up your own. But keeping looking anyway, you never know.

I’m not going into this career thinking I’ll be making +$100k. You have to pay your dues like every other career out there. So, in the beginning, it’s probably working in the trenches, I’d be happy even if I get paid $0 the first year. I just want the opportunity to enter the industry and get my feet wet.

Happy coding and job searching :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing this!

1 Like

think that if you have the skils then freelancing is the way to go if there is no one who will hire you.

2 Likes

Hi bro. Could we link up? I’m also learning, I’m in Nairobi and I believe we can help each other. I’m 32 and still learning. Thanks a bunch.