Having trouble with basic javascript

I cant seem to figure out how to retain what I’m learning so far. All thru the first if-else statements was not a problem.Then i started getting into trouble with the switch statement challenge the one u had to ++ or – the value. The counter and the if-else at the end was something I wouldn’t have come up with on my own. Now I’m at the record collection assignment and again the same thing is happening. I don’t want to just lookup for the solutions .My question is, if I’m having this much difficulty this early in the course, what chance do I even have when it comes the front-end projects? Is there a better way of understanding the course in a way that every time I’m confronted with a challenge I’d at least know the steps to take in solving it. Like the material should be familiar. I really want to be a front-end developer so bad, but so far it’s been frustrating.

Plz advice.

@hmahad If you are new to programming, don’t worry if you need to do a Google search or review other reference materials. All Developers of any level uses Google, cheatsheats or other types of references. It’s kind of like using a dictionary and thesaurus. You may know a word, but forget how to spell it or usage. If you don’t use any type of knowledge everyday you will forget it.

I’m familar with JavaScript and program regularly in C#.Net. The Record Collections challenge gave me a little trouble.

My issue was not fully understanding the instructions. One of my practices to help understand instructions is to put each instruction on a separate line. Then, I indent related instructions. Then, I capitalize any action words.

EXAMPLE:

IF prop IS "tracks"
 BUT the album doesn't have a "tracks" property,
     CREATE an empty array BEFORE
         ADDING the new value to the album's corresponding property.

IF prop IS "tracks" AND value ISN'T empty (""),
  PUSH the value onto the end of the album's existing tracks array.

IF value IS empty (""),
  DELETE the given prop property from the album.
2 Likes

@hmahad.

James is correct. There are a lot of resources available out there, Google is probably the most popular and you always have the forums to post questions in case there are any doubts. One thing that always works for me is when I get frustrated because I can’t figure out the challenge. I just step away from the computer get my mind of it and when ready come, just come back and keep working. You will be able to see things differently. The only thing that can stop you to be a developer is. yourself. Hey you never know. I may run into problem with a challenge and you may be there to help me out. I hope this doesn’t sound to lame but keep your head up and keep at it.

I guess I got no choice but to keep at it. Will follow ur advice. Thx.