Help for my resume and job searching

Woa this is actually extremely helpful, especially your dummy data example, thank you so much. You definitely gave me some ideas of how to re-write my resume. 2 questions:

1- When you say “GitHub collaboration”, do you mean to work in open source projects?

2- I’m not sure what you mean when you said you checked the movie database and don’t see movie descriptions. Did you check the application on a mobile by any chance?. Because there is a bug when you try to see the movie description on phones, that’s because I’m using certain library and it appears it doesn’t work on phones or behaves differently, either way, need to check on that.

Looks really good. Here are some things that I saw.

• the text over your landing page photo looks off-center to the laptop and coffee. I know it’s centered but the image makes it look off-center. I would find a different image that doesn’t create this illusion.

• I think that you should make your header static as you scroll down so that it is always there no matter where you are on your site.

• in your About Me section I would make your Git | GitHub separated like the rest. Yes, they work together, but they are completely separate. This will also make it fit with everything and look smoother.

• for your Portfolio, I would get one more project on there to make it an even 6 and evenly balanced.

• I would take out your Resources section. Your portfolio section shows your work. It’s not as important to show what you use. Besides, you use more than just those that you have listed, and you want to leave some mystery as to what you use. It just feels limiting to your mass variety of things you use and doesn’t really add anything to your credibility. The proof is in the work.

Great job on everything and I hope this helps.

1 Like

Applying for publicly posted jobs can be frustrating and a waste of time, especially if you are looking for your first programming job. It is pretty difficult to stand out from 200 other applicants.

I recommend a very different approach, where you research the companies you’d like to work for, find out who the hiring authorities (the supervisors/managers who can actually hire you) are and call them to pitch them on meeting with you to discuss working for their company. I have a three page write-up on this method and would be happy to send it to you.

Andy

1 Like

I would love to hear about that method, could you share it with us here?

Hey guys, after spending some time learning new skills I finally feel confident to apply for jobs, I also edited my resume following the suggestions from this article that @psychometry posted, thanks a lot by the way, it was really helpful.

I would like to hear your opinion about my new resume:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1d-u9d2h0Gsti_0LcZ1gmVuzElPAmCUK-/view?usp=sharing

What do you guys think?, do you think with this new resume I might be able to pass the tracking system filters?

Feedback on the projects is also appreciated. I didn’t include the admin credentials for the restaurant project because I don’t want everybody to mess around with it, but if you are interested I can send you the credentials.

1 Like

Yeah, this is much more solid.

Compare to your other draft, this one gives a lot more information who you are and what you have achieved as a developer.

I think it borders on a little too wordy, but I’m not a great judge of that. A recruiter/career counselor can help you use more succinct language and condense it better, but at least in the current form, you are much more likely to get past application trackers, and you have a lot more to talk about in an interview when they ask questions off your resume.

Yeah, at this point I just care to pass the filters and hope it lands on the hands of a person, I read we should use as many keywords as possible (you told me this too).

Right now I’m just thinking in the next project to add to my resume. But I have a bit of a dilemma here. On one hand, I would like to keep practicing my back-end skills with Node.js, on the other hand I don’t want to add another project in which I would use similar skills and/or concepts that I already used in my restaurant web app, because it would seem like I’m just repeating myself. I’d be repeating the same keywords like CRUD operations, protected APIs endpoints, etc. At the end of the day I just want to keep adding more keywords and things that are different, I think 3 solid projects on my resume should be more than enough.

What do you think would be a good project for me to do now?, one that could be somehow different to the ones I already have. I was thinking in now learning React Native, but learning that could take me like a month or so, and even though I don’t feel desperate for getting a job anymore, I want to try my luck one more time.

What are you thoughts on the restaurant project?, would you say that it’s solid?, my aim was to build a Wordpress kind of theme.