Help us build Version 7.0 of the freeCodeCamp curriculum

This is a great idea, and I think diving right into projects is a great way to learn and also helps you retain the knowledge better!

Will you be keeping the challenges available as well, as a sort of ‘side resource’? Although I’ve definitely learnt quicker with the projects, it’s been really helpful to read the explanations of certain concepts in the challenges. Perhaps something like a freeCodeCamp library with the current explanations in would be helpful for reference.

I’m still fairly early on in my learning journey, but will be keeping my eyes out for what I could contribute to with this project! :grin::woman_technologist:

5 Likes

Thank you very much Quincy for moving forward and continuing to improve.

I raised this issue once and as yet I haven’t been able to continue the course. I stopped at one point due to some situations beyond my control, and just can’t get back to restart afresh and get to where I left off - despite your suggestion to go back to the start learning page.

So my suggestion at this point would be to remove this obstacle of not being able to log in at anytime, restart as and when necessary. There will always be slow learnerd.
I also ask you again to help me get back to restart my courses once more.

Please call on me to assist at anytime as you see fit for me to do so. I am a beginner, but would love to be a part of the new development. Cheers, and all the best!

3 Likes

What a great concept! It is more fun, and easier to learn, by building a project as we go.
I’m happy to help where I can.

3 Likes

Thank you Quincy, I’m up for building the flux capacitor! Although I don’t have any plutonium-powered nuclear reactor on me. May be we can purchase some from the Russians and pay them back in the future? :rofl:

4 Likes

Thanks! There are a lot of exciting improvements coming up.

3 Likes

Welcome to the freeCodeCamp community!

We will probably take the contents of the current challenges and migrate them to the freeCodeCamp Guide, which has thousands of reference articles - including explanations of our current coding challenges.

2 Likes

Hi Quincy,

I’m Sacha Morgese, a front-end developer with around 3 years of experience who owes you and freeCodeCamp a lot.

I haven’t completed most of the stuff on FCC new curriculum but I’d still love to help, as a way to give back. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hi Franklin, we recently added a feature to reset your progress right from the settings page: https://www.freecodecamp.org/settings

Also, you don’t need to restart the challenges if you don’t want to - they are all optional, and you can feel free to start on the projects, then use the challenge as a reference when you get stuck.

3 Likes

Hi Quincy, cheers to this and I’d love to help out. I owe my current career, livelihood, and happiness to the v4 curriculum, which I remember as being pleasantly rewarding, and then VERY DIFFICULT, with approximately 0 in between. Sounds like it’s been a pretty common feeling for other FCCers. I’ll say that having to find a lot of answers on my own proved to be extremely relevant training for what, in my experience, “real coding” has been like. But there’s a strong argument to be made in favor of easing that curve a bit (it’s hard enough anyhow), and if I can pay back/forward just some of what I got out of FCC, I’d be very happy to do so.

I’m gonna check out the issues list and comment there, but just wanted to (finally!) leave a comment and some deep, heartfelt thanks for everything. I think freeCodeCamp is one of the maybe five total things that are legitimately, unqualifiedly great about the internet, and I’m super-excited about helping to keep it that way.

4 Likes

Hello Quincy !

I am Soumia a full stack developer (java), I would like to contribute in FCC version 7.0.
I do find the idea of 100% project-driven learning interesting for campers including me :slight_smile: !

Is it possible to contribute as a junior contributor ? If yes from where should I start (what langues and tools should I learn)

Thanks
Have a nice day

2 Likes

This is great. I’ve been a long time user of FCC and these new projects sound great. Plus, since they will all be working “samples”, it would seriously bolster a portfolio (i.e. personal GitHub repos to show off).

2 Likes

I think it’s a great idea. I’d love to help out with something in the APIs and Microservices cert or Information Security and Quality Assurance cert.

2 Likes

I love this idea! I have been working through fCC on and off for about a year and a half. I am currently in my 5th year as a Spanish teacher at a local high school where I live. In many ways the best practice for teaching a world language and learning computer languages is identical (daily immersion, try, fail, and try again, if everything works you have not tried hard enough or challenged yourself enough, learning comes from doing not from watching and so on) I love these changes and recommend them. Project-based learning can really make fCC stand out (more than it already does) from the other innumerable resources out there.
I have been wanting to write about this for some time but as always “some time” never came until now. Though I still think fCC is already far better than the majority of free (or even paid) tutorials and the like you find out there, a project-based simplified (yet challenging) approach will help put the language into real world context. fCC already does an excellent job at balancing definitions, theory, and practice. However, by providing these new frameworks (no pun intended) within which each of us can use what we are learning will extremely beneficial.
I currently started looking into internships and contract work to switch out of my education career. However, with my education background I can say that this news is exciting and is how things should be taught. These changes will help us acquire and absorb the practicality of the language which will make it easier to apply it in our own projects and work experiences.

4 Likes

[https:/uploads/default/optimized/3X/5/3/5335a47fe7adf18a00de807e0bd37a0227efb8a8_2_690x274.jpeg]
How about adding something like that to the projects too? It would be a challenging, inspiring and very funny thing to level up, get “powers” or :medal_sports:o “badges” to meet objectives, things like that…

4 Likes

This is incredible!!! Ive always said and suggest that the best way to learn is to build something… I am so excited about the potential and possibilities with this. Im going to check out the repo and do my best to help in any way I can.

Can’t express how excited I am :smile:

2 Likes

Hi , My name is lavan. I work as java developer in a local company in Austin TX.
I would like make some contribution.

2 Likes

I love the idea.

I definitely want to help on this!

2 Likes

I’ve been going through the below React tutorial on scrimba.com. I feel like this might be one of the best coding tutorials I’ve ever done because it 1.) forces repetition 2.) is project focused and 3.) gives you freedom to start editing and creating whenever you want. I don’t know how hard it would be for freeCodeCamp to offer a similar experience to courses on scrimba, but having this kind of real time learning approach could be very cool. Maybe you could just use scrimba for certain lessons in the future.

7 Likes

Totally looking forward to this!

4 Likes

I think this is definitely a step towards a better overall experience. Having completed approximately half of the curriculum (V6), I can definitely resonate with smoothing out the difficulty aspect. I probably started around V5 and when I went from challenges to projects, I completely froze. I had no clue how to tie HTML, CSS, & JavaScript together to build one of the projects. It wasn’t until I took 2 online courses (both were project based) that really cemented the concepts and how everything is tied together by manipulating the DOM. Only then did I feel comfortable enough to attempt some projects (though I still struggled, but I was able to complete them well). I felt like the big picture was missing when going through the challenges and shifting to the projects.

I believe my views are like this as I tend to learn best by doing and love learning in a practical way (as in learning by building a project so I can later apply that knowledge to build my own. It is still a struggle this way, but an easier one).

For #2, I just redid exercises/lessons if I needed more practice and that definitely helps with repetition/retention. The second or third go around, the exercises seem simple/easy.

I’d love to help.

5 Likes