Help us build Version 7.0 of the freeCodeCamp curriculum

:exploding_head: This is the most exciting and awesome news/opportunity—

I definitely want to be part of new version. :tada::partying_face:

2 Likes

Sounds like a great idea. I now sometimes have the idea that a couple of concepts are taught one after the other and there then is this kind of mini project (especially I the JS basics) and I have to go back and reread all the concepts before applying them. As I am taking in a lot of info it’s not always easy to remember all and it is good that I have to go back but if I could apply them straight away maybe it would all stick a bit better.
Looking forward to it!

3 Likes

Hey everyone! Great to see all of your enthusiasm about curriculum 7.0. Really looking forward to all of your discussion and contributions as we move to this project based approach.

There are still a number of projects that are unclaimed here: https://github.com/freeCodeCamp/CurriculumExpansion/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A"help+wanted"

If any of them interest you, just leave a comment and mention me with @scissorsneedfoodtoo. Also, if there are any questions you have while building the projects, feel free to reach out here on the forum, GitHub, in the Contributor’s chat room, or through email.

3 Likes

I have learned enough from the FCC and got a job.
Now its payback time.
I am so excited to become a contributor to this beautiful community.:blush::blush:

4 Likes

Note that @scissorsneedfoodtoo just published an official FAQ for people contributing to the updated curriculum. If your question isn’t on there, ask and we can answer it :+1:

I like the idea of moving to a project centered curriculum! I would also love to help out but I don’t have skills beyond basic HTML/CSS I learned here. I checked out the ‘help wanted’ tags on github but they look a bit too advanced for a first time contributor like myself. Are there any other ways I could help out? I could review lessons from a student’s perspective.

2 Likes

@ryanwaltmurray, yes, we could always use more help reviewing the lessons. Your perspective as a student is invaluable, and would really help us iron out any bumps between the challenges. Please take a look at the projects in the CurriculumExpansion repo and let us know what you think. The RPG game by @beaucarnes is my favorite so far!

4 Likes

Wow I definitly want to be apart of this I really want to particpate on a open source projects. However I have some questions for example the new test description as said:
HTML elements have opening tags like <h1> and closing tags like </h1> . Find the h1 element and change the text between its opening and closing tags to say “Hello World”.
this mean there is an <h1> and </h1> in the editor and we just have to change to text inside the tags ?
As a learner I think learn by building is essential but isn’t it what we are doing with projects ? It’s not because I don’t like the new Curriculum of course I do and so much that’s interesting but I just hope we will not just be focused on projects I mean knowing concepts and knowing when and when we can use this element is so important too.
And for finish I want to suggest an idea why not includes chatrooms in this new version each part for example HTML&CSS have a chatroom, JS have one and so on. that will allow people to discuss more about things or concepts and pearhaps some part of curriculum directly.

1 Like

@Cirediallo, very good question! You’re right that the opening and closing <h1> tags are already in the editor, and that students just have to change the text between them. But that’s the very first lesson, and eventually students will be writing all of their own code.

It’s not that we won’t be explaining concepts at all, more that we’re trying to take a different approach and to show through code rather than tell. With well designed projects and tests we shouldn’t have to explain exactly when and where to use <h1>, <p>, and other elements. Instead, it should become clear as the students work through the projects. And these new projects won’t replace the required projects for each certificate – they will just prepare students for them and get them into the habit of building things from start to finish.

3 Likes

This is awesome! So excited to learn about this being in the works. I don’t know how much I can contribute, but I’ll definitely be following this topic! Thanks to everyone for their dedicated effort! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

I like the idea and now it’s summer I have not a lot of things to do(will focused on my fcc’s projects) so I’m in if it’s not too late

Excited for sll the new curriculum to come! Thank you to everyone who has & will contribute to these projects.

Appreciate all your guys’ hard work to help us newbies get into the game. XD :partying_face:

Awesome that’s going in this direction.
I have 3 years JS experience would love to contribute to this :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi Ramon,

Awesome! Welcome back to the forum. We are nearing completion of these projects, and starting the process of writing the actual tests for them, but you can browse the progress here and may be able to help:

3 Likes

Hi, I’m new here so maybe somebody already mentioned it. I like to check other possible solutions after I’m through a challenge. In current curriculum I found it often confusing - some “basic” solutions are long and complicated, while “advanced” are just a few lines of very concise code. In other challenges it’s the opposite - basic solution looks the most effective and short, while advanced one is so long that I’d never even consider doing it this way. What’s the logic behind this classification?

I think this is an awesome initiative.

I first found FCC in Nov 2016 and after completing all the HTML/CSS challenges, I hit the projects and…got stuck. Didn’t know how to complete the projects beyond copying the CodePen examples. So I went to the JavaScript challenges, completed all of them until the algorithm scripting section and once again…I was stuck.

After that I spent a lot of time waffling back and forth between different online resources that taught me what I already knew (I’ve done <h1>Hello World</h1>, show me how to make a website!) and getting trapped in tutorial hell where I would code along with an instructor, copying what they did as they jumped from html and styling to Bootstrap and jQuery to Node, Express and MongoDB without any context of how and why these pieces fit together the way they do. And then I would realize I couldn’t re-create what I had just copied. The wall was real.

I only had a breakthrough once I took a community college course on Java development. What was profound is that the instructor didn’t teach. He gave us his lecture notes on Java at the beginning of the course, along with 19 projects to complete for our final mark. Each project successively built on the concepts learned in the last and each had hints on how to complete it by referring to the notes and Oracle’s Java documentation. Everything was learned through implementation - trying, failing and experimenting with enough assistance until I understood the concepts enough to make my solution work.

Finally I felt like I could actually maybe really do this. I could program. Project-based learning is game-changing.

I restarted FCC a month ago. I think there’s so much value in this curriculum. It’s an amazing resource and I know after the update it will be even better.

Thank @QuincyLarson and the whole FCC team.

3 Likes

“I would suggest consise theory and concepts review of each project-learn lesson after finishing it.And also integrating recently introduced Scrimba platform to the new fcc ; not as a whole course but for review and repetition.”
@QuincyLarson is a real tech hero of this era.He is one of my role models and the effort he puts for helping all people learn to code for free regardless of background is just unbelievable.FCC is a revolutionary resource for people like me whose country is just getting introduced to tech,Nepal. Really looking forward to this version 7.0 of fcc which could be a real game chager and can make fcc far better than it is now.Project based learning as proposed and and being worked on by fcc is by far the best learning approach out there.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your experiences with project-oriented learning. I’m thrilled to hear that building projects were the one thing that really propelled your skills forward.

2 Likes

So all the work we put into the optional coding challenges will be lost? :frowning: Change is good, but man, one of the things I love about FCC is being able to see previous progress and being motivated to continue.

1 Like

Hi, this is my second try on using freeCodeCamp. I completed the first two certifications and had built a blog with what I learned.

I am not a native English speaker and had never seen a single line of code before. I didn’t finish HTML and CSS in my first try.

The reason I am still here in my second try is because the curriculum have improve so much, it is easier to learn for people like me.

I love the idea of showing “what I can build with what I know now”, that’s one of the walls I hit in my learning(the others are the “why this doesn’t work” wall", “coding is not for me” wall, etc). I think it will be extremely helpful to hit one less wall.

I would like to help. I am new to contributing but I can learn how to.

Thank you @QuincyLarson and everyone who contribute to this wonderful project. It is truly life changing.

1 Like