Help w/ Algorithm!

Given a string of digits, you should replace any digit below 5 with ‘0’ and any digit 5 and above with ‘1’. Return the resulting string.

function fakeBin(x){

for (var i = 0; i < x.length; i++) {

var outputString = "";

if (Number(x[i]) <= 4) {
        outputString += "0";
    } else if (Number(x[i]) >= 5) {
        outputString += "1";
    }
     return outputString; 
  } //loop

} //function

If given [“4321”], the program will return only the first converted value. In this case, “0”.

How do I make the program continue replacing values with “1” and “0” because once either of the conditions of the if/else statement returns true, the loop finishes.

I may be wrong, but all I am asking if for help, not the answer. Thank You.

Move the return keyword outside of your loop statement. Return will halt and exist a function outputting a value. You placed it a tthe end of your loop, so your loop only runs once. Move it to the end of the entire function.

2 Likes

Remember that everything inside the for loop will executed, not just the if else statement.

Tried doing that. When moving the return keyword, no matter the first value of the given string, it will return “1”.

This is what happens:
Expected: ‘01011110001100111’, instead got: '1’
Expected: ‘101000111101101’, instead got: '1’
Expected: ‘011011110000101010000011011’, instead got: ‘1’

Can you update your fixed code.

function fakeBin(x){

for (var i = 0; i < x.length; i++) {

var outputString = "";

if (Number(x[i]) <= 4) {
       outputString += "0";
        outputString += "1";
    }

} //loop
   return outputString;

} //function

Something is wrong with the website. Don’t worry about it as I have fixed the problem.

It’s not just the return statement that needs to be outside the for loop

I fixed and it doesn’t work. I checked the solutions and someone had the same exact solution and it worked. Something may be wrong with the website. I am not sure

You initialize outputString inside the loop. Move it outside (i.e., before the start of the loop).

Found your problem. Don’t blame your mistakes on someone else.

You’re passing in an array with one index containing a string. Your loop is looping through the array, not your string.

Also, even if your loop worked properly, you’re resetting your output string each time your loop loops.

So if you copied someone else’s answer, you essentially learned nothing.

Also, I am not sure how JavaScript treats += for strings. In Java, the sign refers to StringBuilder, which works with mutable strings, that do not exist in JS. So it might be that you are working with basic strings, which will create a number of unnecessary intermediate strings.

No its’ fine, it just concats the value into the string

"" + null // "null"
"" + undefined // "undefined"
null + " " + undefined // "null undefined"
"1" + 2 // "12"

Strings behave wonky when you begin using comparative operators because of the way they’re stored by JavaScript. If you want to know more about that I’m doing some practice with it right now I can share.

I should also point out that the else if is redundant here.

if (Number(x[i]) >= 4) {
         outputString += "0";
         outputString += "1";
    }

If you’ve already check that is is <=4, there is no need to check if whatever got passed is >= 5 - it is by definition. A simple else will do. This is sufficient - leaner and faster:

if (Number(x[i]) >= 4) {
        outputString += "0";
    } else {
        outputString += "1";
    }

1 Like

function fakeBin(x){
var arr = ;
x = “”+x+“”;
x.split(“”).join(“,”);
for(var i = 0;i<x.length;i++){
if(x[i] < 5){
arr.push(0);
}
else{
arr.push(1);
}
}
return arr.join(“”);
}
document.write(fakeBin(12345678));
//returns “00001111”

To continue the loop you can create an array and then push the resulting values into it with the loop just as I did on the above code
//Note that my code is JavaScript

Hello. This problem interests me a bit.
Isnt the issue here that you are using numbers as text to your function? Im thinking you will need some kind of parseint (x) in the for loop??

I did it like this:
function fakeBin(x){
var arr=[];
for(var i=0;i<x.length;i++){
if(Number(x[i]<5)){
arr.push(0);
}
else{
arr.push(1);
}

}
return arr.join("");