Help with Title Case a Sentence challenge

Hi,

I am kind of stuck with this challenge.

I have this code that is giving me the following error : charAt is not a function

Code:

function titleCase(str) {
  var strLowerCase = str.toLowerCase().split(" ");
  var firstUpperCase = strLowerCase.map(function (firstUpper){
    firstUpperCase = strLowerCase.replace(strLowerCase.charAt(0), strLowerCase.charAt(0).toUpperCase());
    return firstUpperCase;
                                        });

str = strLowerCase;
  return str;
}

titleCase("I'm a little tea pot");

to be honest I don´t fully understand why I receive this error, and I think I misunderstood something from the charAt() or map() functions.

Could anyone please shed some light?

Thank you!!

G.

I’ve edited your post for readability. When you enter a code block into the forum, remember to precede it with a line of three backticks and follow it with a line of three backticks to make easier to read. See this post to find the backtick on your keyboard. The “preformatted text” tool in the editor (</>) will also add backticks around text.

markdown_Forums

Well done so far.

charAt is a string function, but strLowerCase is an array

Your map function should take each element of the array and return something to replace it with

var firstUpperCase = strLowerCase.map(function (string){ return <what you want to return>; });

where firstUpperCase will be the new array (this is probably what you want to return from the outer function, after you ‘join’ it back into a string.

You can make new strings by concatenating pieces, eg; string = string[0] + string.slice(1)

I won’t spoil the fun for you completely.

Thank you so much for the insight!

This means that whatever is inside the function brackets is the name of the string I have to use for my charAt function. am right?