Hosting my portfolio

Hi all,

I am pleased to be joining FCC & I’m pleased to meet you all.

I have am around 50% through the Colt Steele Udemy course now and I understand HTML, CSS and the Javascript basics. I’d now like to start building static websites & begin to build some apps/dynamic websites as I go along - as people say, building things is the best practice as a Web Developer.

My question is - where do I put my portfolio? E.g. Do I pay for my own website with links? Or should I use something like Codepen or Github to store my work?

Apologies as this is very obviously a beginners question, but if someone could give me some pointers, that would be great & very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Joe

Github pages is great in my opinion, easy and free hosting. You can make the link for portfolio be username.github.io

1 Like

From the FAQ:

Do I have to use CodePen for the front end projects?

As long as your code is publicly viewable, and you have a live demo, you can use whatever you want.

You can use GitHub pages or surge.sh as alternatives to CodePen.

Thanks for getting back to me - apologies for my delayed reply.

I think I’ll need to get more familiar with GitHub pages and use that.

Hi there!

Can you please provide feedback how the process have been for you? I am also searching how to host my portfolio.

Thanks in advance.

I’ve had a couple of weeks off recently from learning, but I think Codepen, GitHub pages and Surge are all good options. The most important thing is constructing a good CV and LI profile too, and just getting your name out there to the right people!