How are some people able to get jobs within months?

I know it’s already been said, but IMO it bears repeating:

People who get jobs are generally the ones who put time, energy, & effort into actually getting a job.

It’s basically that simple. Studying is all well and good, but unless you’re (general “you” here, not speaking to anyone specifically here) actively going forth to get a job, you’ll never get one. The people who get jobs are the ones with motivation and persistence, and won’t let anyone or anything get in their way. If you’ve read the success stories, they all have a theme of people who were highly motivated to get a coding job and then did something about it.

So if there’s anyone out there who thinks “I’ll just study and then maybe one day I’ll be good enough”, then stop that kind of thinking right now. Sure, study to a point. But then stop and do the work of looking for a job, otherwise it will never happen.

Also, remember that technical knowledge is just one aspect. The most intellectually brilliant person in the world could have all the knowledge of something, but could also be the kind of person that few people want to work with (no offense intended but Bill Gates comes to mind there, as he was infamously difficult to work for/with when he was running Microsoft—and Steve Jobs was infamously difficult to work with as well, btw). So you also have to build social and other soft skills in order to succeed in the job market. What hasn’t been said yet is that the people who get jobs faster could also just have better soft skills, and may not even have great hard skills. Yes, the world isn’t fair, but we all have to deal with it. :wink:

7 Likes