How do I set the total to 5000 instead of 20 when iterating through an Array with a for loop?

Continuing the discussion from freeCodeCamp Challenge Guide: Iterate Through an Array with a For Loop:

Here is the context of the problem and the instructions (skip to My Code if you don’t need any more context)

A common task in JavaScript is to iterate through the contents of an array. One way to do that is with a for loop. This code will output each element of the array arr to the console:

var arr = [10,9,8,7,6];
for (var i=0; i < arr.length; i++) {
   console.log(arr[i]);
}

Remember that Arrays have zero-based numbering, which means the last index of the array is length - 1. Our condition for this loop is i < arr.length, which stops when i is at length - 1.

Instructions
Declare and initialize a variable total to 0. Use a for loop to add the value of each element of the myArr array to total.

My Code (also the correct solution to the problem)

// Example
var ourArr = [ 9, 10, 11, 12];
var ourTotal = 0;

for (var i = 0; i < ourArr.length; i++) {
  ourTotal += ourArr[i];
}

// Setup
var myArr = [ 2, 3, 4, 5, 6];

///only change below this line
var total = 0;
for (var i = 0; i < myArr.length; i++) {total += myArr[i];}

Criteria that needs to be met:
Lesson 205 criteria

I am continuing on but will check back regularly! Because I want to understand the concept!

I don’t understand the question. You say you have a correct solution, so what part is confusing for you?

So this format would stay the same? Only the numbers in the array would change?

Yes, the above code would total would contain the sum the numbers in myArr. You could put any set of numbers you want into myArry and total would contain the sum of them.

1 Like