How do you add a reply?

This might be a weird or stupid question, but how do you add a reply to a post on any of the challenge subforums? I can’t figure this out; please advise.

8 Likes

They could be closed, scowl to bottom and check.

How do I know if a forum is closed? Does it specifically say in a certain place? Sorry

2 Likes

It’s not. There’s no need to feel sorry for asking a question.

The forum posts for the challenges that give hints and solutions are closed to prevent posting. When we had them unlocked, people were able to edit them as they were wiki’s. Some people either by accident or on purpose were putting their own solutions or crap inside the wiki posts. We closed them to prevent people from editing them. The wiki posts are now being moved over to https://guide.freecodecamp.org/certificates

There will be a lock symbol at the bottom and it will say “closed”. Something like this:

10 Likes

How come they closed the challenges comments/ replies? @IsaacAbrahamson

1 Like

See my post above:

When we had them unlocked, people were able to edit them as they were wiki’s. Some people either by accident or on purpose were putting their own solutions or crap inside the wiki posts. We closed them to prevent people from editing them. The wiki posts are now being moved over to https://guide.freecodecamp.org/certificates

3 Likes

Thank you, Isaac. That clears up a lot actually.

1 Like

For new users: the padlock is now next to the topic’s heading, like so:

This actually helped me a TON! :rofl:

1 Like

This is kind of unfair :slight_smile: I want people to see my solutions for the challenges and make comments about them or I want to write about a solution someone posted before. There are those statistics on your profile and some of them really depend on your posts, answers, solutions etc.

6 Likes

I was also searching the answer of the same question. Thanks for asking the question.

It would be nice to be able to show my solution to other people. Hope freeCodeCamp will cosider to let us to comment even when the wiki are closed.

1 Like

Hey Isaac,
I totally understand the reasons you mentioned for locking the “reply” option for the hints and solutions, but unfortunately some challenges are lacking these parts and they are really necessary. I wanted to contribute by adding my solution to a challenge that doesn’t have one but I couldn’t.

I am going to put this here because I have always wanted to comment on forums. I thought I was missing something until I found this post which actually allows me to do so. So, it is not a stupid question, it clears up a lot for me. Thanks for asking,

you can do so by opening a thread in the Contributors subforum, after two positive reviews, the solution will be added to the guide by a mod

2 Likes