How good do you have to be in order to make a game like this?

First let me apologize for poor english since I’m not native and cannot write english comfortably.

Hi, I am Naoki. I’m novice in programming and now I’m doing Javascript part of FCC. I am learning lot and I’m thankful for the everything on this web site.

Though I’m learning to code very cheerfully, I sometime feel nervous whether I’m on the right track for my goal, or, if I have set a wrong goal. And I want to know how much more effort is needed to reach my goal.

My goal is to be able to create a game like “smashy road”(please see the link below if you have never heard of it)
http://www.bearbitstudios.com/
And what inspired me most was that this game is programmed just by one programmer and I think it’s incredible. I want to be able to create something high quality like this game all by myself in the future.

I am quite novice in programming so I don’t know how much effort is needed to become a software engineer like him. And that’s what I want to know.

I already know that if I wanted to create just games I can skip javascript and stuff and do Unity from the start, but I am thinking of mastering web first, so the curriculum is fine by me.

I think it would even be possible to do this in game in JS, with the use of threejs and a physics engine, see this example:

So if you are learning JS, just keep on coding, you’re getting better with every line!

1 Like

Thanks so much for giving me a reply. I’m glad to know that learning javascript won’t be in vain. I will keep on coding!!

1 Like