How it feels to learn JavaScript in 2016

This is so spot on that it’s scary to think about :frowning:

7 Likes

Good lord I haven’t even gotten my head around vanilla js yet :frowning:

That’s exactly how I felt when I started to learn React - year old tutorial is already “outdated” :rolling_eyes:

This article accurately paints my experience after the glee of finishing my front end certificate wore off. There’s a great episode of the Adventures in Angular podcast that discusses this through the lens of the difference between Angular 1 and “modern” front end web development. The gist is front end web development is a “dumpster fire”.

https://devchat.tv/adv-in-angular/103-aia-new-developer-problems

That’s very funny. What’s even more funny is the fact that a few people took it quite serious and tried to ‘Well, actually…’ a response :slight_smile:

It reminded me of this tweet I saw yesterday:

1 Like

Don’t discourage the noobs around here! :grinning:

1 Like

At least with JavaScript, everyone is a new at something :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is this unique only for JS? I wonder if other programming languages had to go through this phase

-Oh my god no, no one uses jQuery anymore.

2 Likes

the funny thing to me is that it’s the same experience for everyone, regardless of whether you’re new or not - talking to people who have had dev jobs for awhile, I get the idea that everybody is dealing with all this… stuff

I guess we just have to learn enough to get the job done and not worry too much about knowing everything at once :wink:

I wish I could tweet this.

I think the article shows us exactly why it’s important to learn one thing really well and not try to keep up with learning the latest offering.

Could this become the end of JS? There is something called elm that apparently does the JS for you (I think) What if things like that flourish? Could JS become something like assembly language?

John Somnez (simple programmer) expect a new layer of complexity to arrive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss10re-tjwo
So what is the point of studying JS at all?

“There’s too much to learn. We need more abstractions!”

I think there’s too much panic about all the frameworks and tools available to web developers. I found Mr. Somnez’s video to be a bit rambley and I stopped it about halfway through, but I get the gist of what he’s saying, and I disagree. We don’t need a layer cake of abstractions, and adding those abstractions is just going to increase the amount of time required to learn anything. The article is funny, but you can intimidate anyone by itemizing all the skills involved in any profession. It doesn’t take too long before you can pick up a new framework in a week, or even days, because they’re already doing the sort of abstraction work SimpleProgrammer is talking about.

Learning JavaScript is foundational to being a web developer. It doesn’t matter what the framework of the week is, or how many supersets of the language there are, you need to know JavaScript. The better you know JavaScript, the less anguish there is when approaching the myriad tools we have.

1 Like

As I’ve talked to people in the industry in SF, they’ve all said the samething: know your JS very well. Every company has their “framework”, “libraries”, etc but at the end of the day, if you can program, that’s all really matters.

2 Likes