How should I pace myself?

Hello!

I’m Kasra

With no prior coding experience I started using FCC few days ago and I’m almost done (115) the jquery section after putting in a total of 4-5 hours. Everything seems very straight forward and simple but I feel like I’m more just memorizing stuff and typing it without really understanding in depth what I’m doing. Am I over-thinking things at this point? or Are there any supplemental resources besides the challenges that can break things down more? ( if that’s even possible for HTML/CSS/Jquary ).

I think the beginning part will is just to introduce you. The REAL learning will be during projects. So don’t worry. If you feel like you need more experience before the project you can always do some other free tutorials like codecademy, but I don’t think it’s necessary.

2 Likes

Hi.

I had the same experience as you. I went through the first sections very quickly, managed to do the Tribute Page, but hit a wall when I tried to make my portfolio page. I changed tack and went through the HTML/CSS section of Codecademy, which was very quick having done it here first. I have just gone back through the HTML to jQuery sections of Free Code Camp, again very quick to do the second time. Having had the experience of failing with my portfolio page, I think I now have a deeper understanding of why I am learning what I am learning, and what the point of it is.

So I would recommend trying the tribute and portfolio challenges. If you can do them to your satisfaction then you are learning the subject well. If not, then don’t be demoralised but go back through the learning material and I think you will get a lot more from it.

1 Like

Thanks for the responses fellow campers.

Glad to see I’m not the only one that felt this way. I guess I will just do the HTML/CSS on Khan or Codeacademy just to really drill the basic tags into my memory and then dive into building a tribute page.

Cheers! :slight_smile: