How to not get discouraged

so i peaked at the answer to the current problem i was working on because i was absolutely dead stuck, i hate having to do that but i was completely lost.

after looking at the answer i realized there was probably no way i could have figured out that solution, but i wasnt too far off from having mine like the 2 advanced solutions of it.

1 Like

I know how this goes. I do the same.

ive only had to peak at 2 of them so far so i guess thats not too bad

Not bad. I am new to coding and need to view answers to a lot of similar problems to learn to solve them.

im fairly new also haha

I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad thing to refer to the answers when solving problems. I come from a scientific background, and I would wager 90% of us would never have passed the classes without consulting solutions manuals. :grin:

Similarly, almost every problem you would encounter as a working programmer has been solved before, probably long ago. The important thing will be your skills in researching a solution and integrating it into the project at hand, saving your employer both time and money.

I’m not saying, of course, that you shouldn’t make an effort to strengthen your problem-solving muscles. You definitely should. But much like getting into good physical shape, these things take time to improve. Don’t beat yourself up if you can’t get it initially. Attempt to solve more problems and gradually you’ll begin to devise a solution in your head before even touching the keyboard.

3 Likes

If you’re copying answers so you can blow through the map and exercise with the primary goal of getting your FCC certificate within a few days or weeks, then you’re only cheating yourself. It’s your own loss.

But if you’re looking at the answers to learn, to see the pattern, to get an idea of how it was solved – AND you’re learning something new in the process, then I see nothing wrong with that.

EVERY programmer has learned from looking at other people’s code.

I don’t know where this idea came from that you’re not allowed to look at answers! So many people then get stressed by this so-called “rule”.

That would be like teaching a student how to write, without exposing him to works of great writers!

6 Likes

im definitely not just copy pasting haha, ive spent hours stuck on a few of these before i figured them out, the last one i was actualy very closer to the answer then i knew but i didnt think i would have gotten it, but i did understand why once i seen it so i did learn

I agree with you completely. I get stressed out when I am doing research on the internet and I come across the answer or a partial answer to the problem I am solving. I feel guilty but sometimes it is the only way I can learn how to code. To compensate, I will solve the problem a few times, the last time making sure to do it on my own.

I’d call that progress; something to be proud of! :muscle::+1:

I agree with this in whole - as long as you are using the solutions to learn and not to get a certificate. I’ll also argue that certificates don’t really matter, what matters is what you learned, there’s not an industry standard certificate for coding, and employers evaluate you in other ways. Please know I AM NOT saying people who complete and get a freeCodeCamp Certificate won’t get a job (if fact lots of campers have gone on to get developer jobs), I’m saying that a freeCodeCamp certificate isn’t going to get you the job - demonstrating to the job recruiters and interviewers that you are job ready is what will get you a job. Maybe you list the certificate on your resume or CV it might interest the interviewer but only demonstrating you are the best person for the job will get you the job.

I have learned more from contributing to open source projects than I have from tutorials and videos. The practical experience of a project will always better than just challenges, tutorials, or videos - in a project you’ll be working with code written by multiple developers :slight_smile:

1 Like

You are not dumb, for not understand.
You would be dumb, for give up.