HTML Cirriculum

I’m new to computers: I’ve done construction and, before that, military service for my 32 year professional life. I grew up very close to Homestead road and Lawrence expy in Santa Clara; the heart of it all. I’m too old to build houses anymore, so I turn to the work that brought my father a living: writing code.

I JUST started the HTML curriculum and I can’t seem to advance in the tutorial. My code is correct: I know this because I watched the video after failing to move on. I run the tests. Nothing happens. The tutorial will not advance me automatically. Am I missing something?

I’m a smart guy, albeit uneducated, yet I can’t seem to grasp what, if anything, I’m doing incorrectly…
Some assistance, please.

1 Like

Hey @UNIXSon. Can you post the challenge which is giving you problems?

It’s the very first one!

<h1>Hello World</h1> 

I am quite the dilettante when it comes to computers.

I’ve edited your post for readability. When you enter a code block into a forum post, please precede it with a separate line of three backticks and follow it with a separate line of three backticks to make easier to read.

See this post to find the backtick on your keyboard. The “preformatted text” tool in the editor (</>) will also add backticks around text.

Note: Backticks are not single quotes.

markdown_Forums

Are you by any chance using Edge, IE, or Safari as your browser? Free Code Camp has been updated to use newer technologies. It makes the application much faster and it means that we can go much longer without having to do a huge migration like the recent one. However, Edge, Internet Explorer, and Safari are very bad about choosing not to adhere to standards and support new functionality in JS and CSS. Right now, that means that these browsers exhibit lots of unexpected behavior. If you become a web developer you will come to hate these browsers with every fiber of your being.

Also, please, don’t open duplicate topics for the same challenge. You have two different topics for the same challenge open, I will merge them to keep things tidy

<h1>Hello World</h1>

If this is the correct code, why won’t the tutorial move me on to the next lesson and register my progress?

What browser are you using?
-J

How do I check that?
My machine is an HP product…

download chrome or firefox and use one of those

Solid Copy, thank you.

opera mini is also a Good one also tho

I just downloaded Chome and set that as my default browser.

Hopefully you run into a lot fewer problems now. Happy coding!

Solid Copy. I ask a little patience, and your forgiveness.

1 Like

You are new, you are not in trouble, don’t worry!

If you need assistance in a challenge in future you can use the Ask for help button, this will include your code and the challenge link without having to do that yourself, and you can add your questions before publishing. Any follow up you can in the topic you already created!

Hey man real glad you’re motivated to start coding and hope you stick with it! Don’t know if you mentioned already but were you able to submit your code?

Hi UnixSon, sounds like you need some super basic help. To check which browser you are using go to https://whatsmybrowser.org/ What does that page tell you?
Also are you clicking the button “Run the tests”? What happens when you do that? You should see an output window below your code which looks something like image
If correct you should get a big circle and and another button which says 'Submit and go to next challenge". Click that.

If this isn’t happening, where in the process does it go wrong?