I am 40 years old. Is it too late to start a career in software development?

Lovely thread with so many great replies! Heart warming. It’s great to see the support of the community.

It is never to late to learn!

Let's hope 40's not too old to start!! :wink: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I'm 38 years old myself, but I don't see why age would really matter to an employer who's looking for a very specific set of skills. Right??
Does this person know what they're talking about??? If == True, then thats the important part
I'm sooooo happy to see this thread and know that I'm not the only person who's trying to get into web development who's not in their 20's.

I also couldn’t get the Gitter Chat room link to work either

1 Like

Anyone can create a room on Gitter…

40PlusDevs - Is back up…

3 Likes

I’m 39. It’s never too late.

Watch “The Intern”, and the guy doesn’t even know how to code! hehe.

1 Like

Heck no, Jay! You’re only as old as you let yourself feel. You’re at an advantageous position in that you are considering a software career now. Many 20 somethings do not know what they want. You can do it man.

1 Like

How do I find the 40PlusDevs chat group? Thx!

Hi Jay, I’m 46 and giving FCC a go, my thinking is that I’ve still got (hopefully) some 20 years + of employment ahead of me and if I can do anything to try and make that what I want it to be then I’m going to go for it

4 Likes

My biggest hurdle is choosing between WebDev and iOS Dev. I enjoy both but looking for source that shows growth in their fields.

I read somewhere that people are installing/downloading less and less Apps on their phone. Other than the big 4 (facebook, twitter, instagram, snapchat apps) and maybe some productivity apps (dropbox, google drive and the like), and the occasional games, the App market seems to be stagnant. People are just wary/tired? of downloading Apps on their phone. (Malware infection of apps didn’t help either.)

Also, with more websites being more responsive and having good user experience on the phone, the need for a separate dedicated app seems to have fallen out of favor in recent years.

3 Likes

It is never too late for anything. For starting a career age is not the criteria. If you love doing coding then start your career right away.

I agree. I’m almost 40 as well and there are still more working years ahead of me than behind!

But just beware that if you enter this industry, the learning never stops. It is good to have a broad knowledge of different topics, but I also believe that you should focus on something that makes you stand out from the crowd.

And never stop with the music in your free time!

Hi Jay

It’s never too late to learn new skills mate.
I started an MSC in Computer Science in January and started too learn JavaScript 2 weeks ago.
I’m 38 btw.

Kevin

Definitely no! U.S. companies are struggling to find enough qualified software developers.
It takes a lot of perseverance to write good code(create good comments and modules).

If you try you will get a job in webdev.

Webdev jobs are in big demand. According to the labor dept there will be almost 6000 new ones per year for the next 10 years.

There are 3 or more codecamp schools in major cities to just try to keep up with the skills gap and demand.

The demand is so great they bring in a lot of people on H1b visas to keep up.

webdev jobs https://money.usnews.com/careers/best-jobs/web-developer

Hey Jay,

I know you’ve received a TON of replies to this, but I wanted to say thank you for posting this question. I’m 36, been dabbling in coding for about a year, and am looking to get serious with it. I too, even at my age, have these same reservations. Reading everyone’s comments are great and provide hope to my dream job.

Jason

I’m 36 and just got my first tech job after starting FCC last november. Never too late!

3 Likes

The only “too late” excuse for not doing something is your funeral, IMHO.

1 Like

Learning to code and starting to design is never late.

I hope it’s not too late!

I’m 38 and slowly working my way through the course now.
Hope to move into a full-time Developer job within the next year or two.

I’ll add that I’m 36 and although I have a bachelor’s degree in Software Development, I’m teaching myself JavaScript through FreeCodeCamp and other online resources. So I honestly think 40 is the new 30. We are never too old to do anything unless we convince ourselves that we are too old and stop.

I would encourage you to keep working at it. It’s going to be an uphill battle to get to where you want to be, but if you stay focused and be persistent, you will set your career in motion.

Life is too short to say that it is too late or that I’m too old to do anything.