I am 40 years old. Is it too late to start a career in software development?

according to the dept of labor there ill be 4000 new webdev jobs per year in the USA. That is about 40 for each major metro area.

There is so much demand that even the avg sized city has 4-5 bootcamps going and they are bringing in h1b visas to fill the skill gap.

they will need people of all ages etc

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/web-developers.htm#tab-6

Hi Jay,

Iā€™m 37 and having the same fears myself.
Iā€™m hopeful that some companies will recognise the positives of a more mature candidate.
Not sure I really have a helpful answer, just wanted to let you know that youā€™re not alone.

Hi jemagee, I feel same as you. Iā€™ve been trying to learn since 10/2015 and through many setbacks, still at square one. Going outside my normal, Iā€™d be happy to buddy up for support if youā€™re inclined.

Let me know.

I am still a baby coder and I turn 30 in a few monthsā€¦so I am not speaking from an experienced coder point of few, but a general life perspective. I know a man who started college at the age of 50 to pursue a career in engineeringā€¦he just woke up one day and decided he wanted to live a different life. He wanted to live a life he wasnā€™t passionate aboutā€¦a life that meant something to him. Please do not limit yourself. I am learning more and more everydayā€¦as clichĆØ as it sounds, believing is truly half the battle. Itā€™s not too late until you are no longer cognizant of the world aroundā€¦and even thenā€¦who knows.

5 Likes

Well said!! Iā€™m also 35 now and love this new challenge

1 Like

Gays and graysā€¦love it!

Iā€™m 42 and hoping to start a second career as a web developer (currently a part time teacher). I feel as though I will probably be passed up on getting a good developer job because of age. However there is always freelancing. In addition I plan on creating educational websites (you are never too old to start your own projects that will help others :slight_smile: )

4 Likes

Two years ago I started with HTML. In the beginning it was very difficult to stay motivated. IĀ“m now 43 years old and i am very happy that I did not stop.
A few months ago I finished HTML - CSS - BOOTSTRAP - JQUERY with thanks to FREE CODE CAMP. Sometimes I get de-motivated but I always come back and reading a story like yours motivates me again.
I am now convinced that I want to become a pro in Java-script and react.
ItĀ“s not always easy but itĀ“s also a lot of fun. This forum also makes it easy.

2 Likes

To put this question into proper perspective, think of someone challenging Albert Einstein based on his advancing age as he continued to propound ground breaking theories into the nature of the universe. Of course, Einstein stayed in the field for his entire career, but an astute and engaged 50 year old will accomplish more than a dull or disinterested 20 year old. Fields centered in technology are on a steep ramp of change, which demands a commitment to continuous learning. As long as a person is willing to accept and embrace that aspect, that person will likely do well. Those who remain intellectually engaged tend to retain their intellectual prowess into advanced years. That being said, our choices build the statistics, but we shouldnā€™t let the statistics build our choices.

ā€œThe best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is today.ā€

• Confucius
2 Likes

I am 38 years. Donā€™t feel alone.

Good luck for your new life.

1 Like

I am 39 years.
But Iā€™m in IT more then 10year - CRM helpdesk consultant
Second career as a web developer gives meaning

My story is no different.
I am 41 and a pharmacist by qualification. I had almost 10yrs of freelancing experience in web designing, but I always desired to be a programmer so I have started learning python at age of 41.

4 Likes

I think it 's never too late for anything.

1 Like

Hey guys
Iā€™m 38 and trying out front end development as a career changer after being in IT all my career
Iā€™ve realized that web development is a very competitive field to get intoā€¦can you please offer any suggestions as how I break into this field in SF Bay Area ?
JavaScript Networking event tickets are expensiveā€¦are they worth it?
I loved reading the positive comments about starting late.

Thank you all

Iā€™m 47 and just recently finished a business Computing degree. I was nervous starting at first as a majority of students were in their 20ā€™s, but after a few short weeks we were all friends and age didnā€™t matter. Age isnā€™t an issue, only focus. Iā€™ve now decided to be a front end developer and want to get a junior web developer job by the end of the year. I give myself 25 hours a week for learning on top of my job. I even time my sessions and treat it like a job. Itā€™s also important to network and not be afraid to ask for help. Take plenty of breaks, exercise and donā€™t get burn out. If a company holds your age against you they are not worth working for anyway.

8 Likes

Its nice to read these post of middle age beginners, I am a 44 yr old beginner myself. This is not easy but I will keep trying.

2 Likes

Itā€™s not too late. I wanted to make a career change when I was 38 to I.T. and got lucky enough to land a job on a help desk starting at the very bottom. I knew the basics, but after two years of hard work and dedicated learning, I was promoted twice and advanced to the Incident Managment team as a Senior Analyst. Iā€™m also taking courses in Computer Science, Iā€™ll be 41 in a couple of months.

2 Likes

Excuse me i am 42 years old and i have no past education about Computers but i am a Graphic designer. now i want to swich to something with IT software Development. is it possible to start now? and which ways should i follow? i moved to UK for 3 weeks ago i want to start from the begining and want to know how long can it take to find my first job and continue also the courses to be more in computing businessā€¦ can someone tell me from where i should start and which ways should i follow and how much will it take if i take full day course?

I hope not, because I am 40 too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello allā€¦ not sure if I should make a different topic of this but Iā€™ve read a lot of these posts from the top & got inspired to create a account and ask for advice along my path which is similar however a bit different.
Iā€™m 37 have a 1 year old and another on the way in August or September. My background is in digital printing however, Iā€™m working in Security to pay the bills. The kicker is that I have a petty/stupid misdemeanor on my record that Iā€™m unable to expunge because of va petty laws. However Iā€™m enrolling in a community college to become either a programmer or a software developer more so interested in the software developing field. Would this misdemeanor hinder me or should I just put my head down and go for it and get letters of recommendations along the way? Thanks for the feedback if any!!