I Challenge You!

I myself started learning JS with a few weeks of flatiron academys free “bootcamp prep” course, at some point I stopped following that course and found freecodecamp.

so I had at least a few weeks intro even before fcc, but

my earliest codewars solution lists as “3 months ago” (this doesnt seem like long enough ago)
my earliest algorithm on FCC lists as “Jun 17”

I progressed a lot on codewars before finishing up the JS lessons here though.

1 Like

did you try kumite on codewars?

Start as soon as possible.
At initial stage you could limit yourself to 8kyu and 7kyu katas - they cover basics of the language. Most important part is to look how others solved the same kata and compare to your solution - you’ll learn a lot.

2 Likes

I just passed it , but I kinda of cheated by hardcoding 2 large numbers that it had kept on failing with, for the other large numbers I sorted them from small to big and if it was identical after sorting to the original number then I would discard the test entirely (I got that idea from here (http://www.geeksforgeeks.org/find-next-greater-number-set-digits/), I left the remainder of the algo as i had it before and it passed (222 tests), but it would not pass without hardcoding those 2 large numbers, why ? I have no clue, in any event I’ve had enough with it, I am going to review the other solutions to the problem, when I get a chance later, I am sure somebody has already solved it with just 5 lines

Here is another one that had me baffled a month or 2 ago as well, but I have already solved this one,

@JashuHB

Thanks very much guys, I am making my account there and get the idea of it all. You are right, it will set me up from basics. If I find it difficult , I can just learn more and go back to Code wars or coding game. I am actually using Free code camp as a game too, so I am mostly learning outside of Free code camp using P1xt guides, and solving solutions here. Even haven’t done my Tribute page yet here, though I have made couple of websites to practice.

You’re on sir. :wink:

Ok, I’m caught in recursion hell here staring at the screen, and haven’t done linear algebra in ages…

I’ve been trying one from the newsletter

This is an interesting one, because its very deceptively simple. I can easily write code to answer the question, its just way too slow, and that seems like the point. otherwise the problem could be solved by something basic like

function findPosition(num){

var runningNo = 1; // running count for adding numbers
var infNum =""; //string of inf numbers
var ind = -1;

function longer(){ //add 10k numbers to string of infinte numbers
      for(i = 0; i < 10000; i++){

infNum+= runningNo;
          runningNo++;
      }
  }

while(ind == -1){ //keep adding numbers until a match is found
    longer();
    ind = infNum.indexOf(num);
  }

return ind;

}

this is just an example solution to show how simple the problem appears to be at first (it works for numbers up to 7 digits or so)

I’ve tried a few different techniques so far but nothing that’s been fast enough.

I do like seeing a high level problem with an easy to understand description though. Even if it takes me forever to solve.

Will you give a try at this one? It’s a golfing one and still in beta, at least I enjoyed solving it:

Hey, I just joined FCC clan (which I didn’t know even existed) on Codewars and I am surprised it hasn’t got many members… So, I would like to invite everyone who is on Codewars to join the clan by adding “Free Code Camp” in Account Settings > Clan. :slight_smile:

I wasted damn near 6 hours of my life on this bi… , makes you really appreciate Array.prototype or Object.prototype methods.