I feel like I'm doing something wrong. Any advice?

Hey, everyone. I’m working on the front-end developer course right now and I’m having a bit of a problem with the projects. I completed the tribute page, but I feel like I’m having to look a lot of things up on the portfolio. I spent an hour searching for ways to create a navbar, for example.

I don’t remember being taught how to do that in any of the course and I just wanted to make sure that’s by design. I understand the value of teaching us to look things up, but I just wanted to see if I was alone in having to do so.

Thanks.

It seems fairly normal, I find that topics covered in FCC are mostly to introduce you to specific subjects, and when you want to know something more in depth it is up to you to research them on your own.

2 Likes

Yes, not everything can be covered by the FCC map. Up to you to look for other resources to get the job done – you know, like in a real world job.

1 Like

Like Dan says, think of FCC as a framework for learning. FCC gives you the basics and then you need to figure out how to put them together and go seek out the other pieces you need.

This feeling of “What? I have no idea how to do that!” is normal. But in some ways, that mimics the “real” world of coding. When you get asked to complete a job, you won’t get video tutorials and a list of things you need to do it. You will often get that “What? I have no idea how to do that!” feeling. But you learn how to figure things out and how to research.

If you ever get stuck, don’t be afraid to ask. I guarantee that there is no question that you can ask that there aren’t ten others wout there who are just too chicken to ask.

Agreeing with the others - FCC is the starting highlights. The projects definitely require research.

That said, I’m a big fan of not reinventing the wheel. You will find cut-and-paste solutions for some pieces of some problems. That’s what I did with the nav bar. That’s a real-world professional outcome.

By all means, tweak the cut-and-paste solution. You will have to, anyway, or your menus will not match your page.

That is a normal feeling. There is a bunch of stuff on here that they do not touch. I had to go through multiple sources to create a navbar. If you have any questions the community is here to help.

just google ‘w3shools navbar’