I got a job! At last!

I’m also a qualified music teacher, which didn’t work out in the long run but got into web development by self-study with great resources such as FCC. Good luck!

1 Like

What php courses or learning platforms do you suggest?

1 Like

Thanks for your story. It is very inspirational as I feel the same. I have been working on freecodecamp off and on for a couple of years. I built my web site that I have been maintaining for a couple of years. www.glennslostclassics.com When I first thought about getting into programming someone told me that I should learn PHP and I tried and got a little frustrated, but lately I have found some good resources for this like my public library! Good luck with your future as a developer!

1 Like

Awesome @pochhhhh! It’s encouraging to see a fellow musician doing this. My degree is in music also, now I’m aiming for development work. It’s interesting how so many skills learned while pursuing a music degree are helpful in learning to code - perseverance, analysis, breaking down a problem into smaller, manageable parts, etc. I could go on; but, as in music, there is an art to this coding business.

I’ve finished most of the FCC certs and recently took a break to work on a couple of GatsbyJS website prototypes for a couple of small organizations in hopes of landing those projects. Nothing paid ATM, just something to demonstrate what I can do. If nothing else, I can use them as portfolio pieces and templates for the future, so it’s a “win” either way.

And, speaking of music, have you seen VexFlow? I stumbled across it recently, looks interesting. I haven’t had time to play with it yet, but the musician in me has bookmarked it for later. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great! Next one is on 21st May, details are here: freeCodeCamp London May meetup (2)

1 Like

That’s great to hear. All the best for your future.

1 Like

It was really a mix of YouTube videos that got me started with the basics of PHP. At it’s essence, the very basic programming principles are similar to JavaScript so you should feel somewhat familiar with them. Only huge difference of course is the syntax. I messed around writing small scripts here and there but it was only really when I started to understand the concepts of MVC architecture did I dive deeper into a fully fledged Udemy course. There is a really good PHP course on Udemy from Brad Traversy, which is all about using Object Oriented PHP to create an MVC framework. Another great great resource I definitely recommend for someone learning PHP is Laracasts. Jeffrey Way does an awesome job of screencasting, haven’t seen anything quite like it. His pace is a little overwhelming for super beginners though, so if you feel you’re getting ready or are somewhat at an intermediate stage in your learning then you can definitely dive right in. There are also TONS of cool tings to learn from Laracasts that isn’t just about PHP - There is also Laravel content, stuff about JavaScript and even modern CSS. Have fun exploring!

2 Likes

It is great that you’re putting your skills for a few organisations that are within your reach. It definitely is a win-win situation either way. Keep going and trust me, someone will recognise your hard work and will want your skills.

There is a huge element of art in coding indeed! Nice to talk with a fellow musician! VexFlow certainly looks very interesting!

Kudos on the job!

I’ll check out Traversy some more. Grateful he’s put so much content out on YouTube and Udemy. I struggle sometimes with his monotone voice. TBH If I’m tired, then it’s easy for my eye lids to get heavy when watching his content. Haven’t had that much of a problem with other people’s videos.

Just about every PHP developer recommends Jeffery Way. Once I’ve got some income again, then I’ll check him out.

1 Like

Nice, goodluck.your story is very motivating

1 Like

Thank you fo sharing and for giving us new hope! :slight_smile:

Coding has given to me new passion for learning and the creative outlet I always looked for in the humanistic field but which I never found.
I wish you the best! :+1:

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks for sharing your story.

Congratulations!! And welcome to the world of PHP and WP! I am a neighbor of yours in Drupal development :grinning:

1 Like

Great!! How are you liking it so far? I’ve always been curious about Drupal. Never used it!

Nice to hear that! Thanks for sharing your great story to us!

Congrats mate! I am a CS student but even after 5 semesters, I am not confident in any language. But now I have started focusing only on Web Dev and I intend to become a full-stack developer!

This is inspiring! I’m happy it worked out for you man! Keep at it!

What an inspiring story! Congratulations to you and Good luck! :slightly_smiling_face: