I got my first job (front end dev)

A great big, Congrats to you on lanfing that job,
Hoping that everything works out for you.
I am also just starting out fresh in coding and wanted to ask how long did it took you to land your first job?

3 Likes

congrats on the job this is a great story of inspiration.

3 Likes

Update

Hey campers,
My first week at work have passed andā€¦ I have mixed feelings. The workplace is amazing. People are so kind and atmosphere is chill. There is even nintendo switch in dining room so we play mario kart on our break. My tasks are fun, challenging and exciting (at least for beginner).

The downside is me, my lack of confidence which turns into massive stress which blinds me from thinking straight thus I have made few silly mistakes. Filip is great guy to work with, always patient to answer my questions and willing to help me out. The downside is that I have major fear of feeling inadequate especially since I hadā€¦ rather strange interview where Filip didnā€™t get to know me well. I was afraid that Iā€™ll end up with task in language I have not a clue of and this is basically what have happened. I got a task to adjust something on website with jQuery. Guess who havenā€™t done jQuery ever like in their entire life (hint: me). I was mortified to see all of the $$$ holy cow what I am going to do now?!

In the end I got paid for learning jQuery. I came back home crying that I am working in such amazing place and I get to learn so much as well. In the end I have completed that task at home before going to sleep (my travel time is very long, I just get 2-3h of free time a day). Next day I have pasted code to the website, I was so proud of myself. Unfortunately it came out with error, I wasnā€™t gravely wrong with my code, its just in the end it is going to require complete rewamping as already written app wasnā€™t very flexible with additions. I think that Filip then felt a bit guilty for giving me this task. I am still quite excited about it, I just wish I didnā€™t stress so much.

This is what I have made in jQuery

I also recommend jquery, its fun to tinker around

5 Likes

Beautifully written. I wish you good luck!

3 Likes

I absolutely loved reading your backstory and how you landed this jobā€¦ I also read your one week update and it sounds like you have an amazing team. Impostors syndrome is so cruel! But you are there, and you have the opportunity right in front of you. Youā€™ve got this!!!

3 Likes

Hey, can you review my projects and give me suggestions,ā€¦ should I go for interview or still studyā€¦

manishbainsla.tk
LinkedIn.com/in/immanishbainsla

2 Likes

@Irys13 I like the simplicity and clarity of your portfolio. :slight_smile:
If you donā€™t mind, I want to create a portfolio with a design inspired from yours?

2 Likes

Hi Mohamedeliwa! Iā€™m so sorry for responding so late!
Sure go for it, I would like to see how it looks like. I think that the code I have used to make it is so bad though so I donā€™t recommend using it as reference :joy:

Mind sharing?

2 Likes

@Irys13

Never mind, Iā€™m glad you replied. :smiley:

Sure, once I finish it I will send it to you here or on GitHub.

Iā€™m sure your code is great and It would have been a good reference :smiley: , but I want to challenge myself to create it on my own, letā€™s hope that I create it nicely :joy:.
Also I want to add a little something to it, I hope you like it.

Of course not.
Really, thanks again for your reply :sunny:

3 Likes

congratulations mate, i wish u goodluck with your new job. Thanks for sharing

3 Likes

@Irys13 Was wondering what was the avg weekly hours you did and how many months until you got the job since you started FCC?

Also how many job applications total?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Congratultios on your achievement best of luck comrade

2 Likes

Congratulations
very impressive

3 Likes

Hi,
I started learning in autumn 2017 and I had interview in late September 2018, started on 24th of October 2017.
Started using FCC in January 2018 but I had a lot of breaks to create my own projects and portfolio.

I think that I have applied for ~180 apprenticeships and +300 job applications. I would apply for 1-2 months, if I didnā€™t get good response I would go back to learning and try again later. I have tried 3 times in total and I got this job right at the beginning of my 3rd try. I had quite a lot of phone interviews but they never went any further. In my 3rd try I had 3 interviews in total and got job in 2 places but the second interviewer responded too late.

I am not going to lie it was hard but I would certainly do it again. I have learned so much, not just programming but also some soft skills and how to write good CV.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply, when learning, how many hours do you usually spend a day? did the jobs you reply or phone interview often ask about d3.js or data visualization?

3 Likes

I did between 1-4h a day as I was struggling with depression and anxiety.

No one have asked me about these

1 Like

Congratulations
Good Luck:blush:
I just found FCC,your story first what I read,i want to start to programming but i donā€™t know what language to choose,and what is so stop me itā€™s knowling language
Your story very impressive

2 Likes

Congratulations, what an inspirational story.
i learned some language through sololearn, like html, css, javascript, python, SQL. then i started to learn it again on FCC since the recommendation on youtube is great, there are certificates and projects.
However while learning javascript, my progress is very slow, the algorithm is so difficult,i always look for some motivation like your story, Thanks Eva, all the best!

2 Likes

Congratulations on your first developer job!

I would like to emphasize that learning the programming syntax should be done but not to the point were you are overthinking or over stressing . I say this because in my university programming classes they test you by making you write code on paper therefore you need to memorize certain functions and methods . I would say memorize the basics. Although i feel this would naturally arise through consistent practice.
I look forward to getting my first Developer job this summer !

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing your experience!

1 Like