I got my first programming job after 3 months

Congrats! That is wonderful to hear. Best of luck with the new position.

Congrats! You are really great!

Congratulations - thatā€™s amazing!

Thatā€™s really great! Hope everything works out for you.

I too am changing careers and feel the guilt of having put tons of effort into something (also English teaching), but every moment is a moment for a new beginning! Great to see others reinventing themselves. Guilt be gone!

1 Like

Congratulations! You are an inspiration!

Okay, hereā€™s an update after three and a half weeks.

In total Iā€™ve been involved in three projects so far. The first is a React Native app which is still unfinished (pending additional info from the client), the second is a web (HTML/CSS/JS) client for ordering taxis, which is finished, and the third is a Python/Django/JS project involving implementing an E-commerce functionality.

Iā€™ve never had this much fun at a job before, and it feels amazing to get paid to learn.

15 Likes

That is absolutely wonderful! Iā€™m crazy happy for you! Thanks for the update, too!

ā€œā€¦and it feels amazing to get paid to learnā€

Exactly! That is one of my favorite parts of working in this field! I couldnā€™t get over it for the longest time!

2 Likes

This is where I am stuck at. All I am doing is study, code, but I never feel adequate.

Weird question here. Are you doing all those projects by yourself?

1 Like

Iā€™ve mostly been working on projects by myself. Iā€™m not doing all of these from the ground up though - since the last post Iā€™ve taken over the development of 2 unfinished mobile apps from ex-employees, and Iā€™m also implementing some new backend features to a much larger web application thatā€™s already used in production.

Although most of my work has been independent, by now Iā€™ve learned to request code reviews from time to time if Iā€™m unsure about something Iā€™ve written. Thatā€™s how you prevent your code from going too far off the rails if your thought process isnā€™t right.

BTW I was on a 4 month trial period and I just got confirmed for a permanent full-time position at the company, complete with a 60% raise. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Iā€™m so inspired by your story. Well done! Can you share the other courses you took please? :grin:

I took some Node.js and React courses that I bought on Udemy :slight_smile: Iā€™d recommend anything by Stephen Grider

1 Like

Well, youā€™ve certainly given me hope. I have a BA in Liberal Arts and half a masters in German. Iā€™ve bounced around from job to job since I graduated and Iā€™ve finally gotten the nerve to code. I canā€™t afford to quit my day job, but I will definitely be spending as much time as I can at the keyboard. Thanks so much for sharing!

This was very inspiring to read. I also find myself stuck in a job that my heart isnā€™t in. I have always wanted to code and learned basic Java programming and introductory Web Design in school. I have been trying to perfect my Java since graduation but recently decided to shift to Full Stack Web Development. I hope to be as lucky as you, but I am okay with waiting until I complete FCC. FCC has been by far the best resource I have found online to date.

Ok thank you. Iā€™m taking the web dev Bootcamp class by Colin that is so popular.

CONGRATS!!
Is your official title ā€˜Front End Web Developerā€™ ?

Amidst the anxieties of beginning to learn how to code, and considering long-term career possibilities, this is one hell of a motivating story. Congratulations, and thanks for sharing!

Itā€™s just about the 1 year anniversary of when I quit my job in sales and started coding. I remembered this thread again and reading through it made me smile.

A few weeks ago I went through a 4-step interviewing process for another company, got offered work and accepted it. Starting there in 2 weeks and I feel intimidated as hell - the place seems to be crawling with hard boiled software professionals with expertise in AI, cloud computing and whatever the hell else. I just bought a 1300 page book on data structures and algorithms because I feel like such a noob in comparison. :smile:

This thing is starting to look like it really became a career, guys. And I canā€™t stress how vital FCC was in getting it off the ground. Thank you so much to Quincy et al. and the entire supportive community :slight_smile:

3 Likes

We could go on studying and learning for years and still not feel ready to do a job.So, better go ahead and apply.But dont stop learning though.