I have been cheating lately

I’m just gonna put it out there. I have been cheating lately with the intermediate algorithms lately.
So I was mid way through the intermediate algorithms when I realized I have been copying off of other people’s codes. At first, I meant to use them as hints to finding the solution. after working for hours on one algorithm, I finally gave in to temptation and scrolled down further to see their solution. Ad this grew into a habit. Sure, I was making progress but at the end of the day, I know I didn’t earn anything.
And I knew I’m just lying to myself and to potential employers in the future. So, I will be starting the intermediate algorithm challenges all over again and this time, I will be patient. really adhering to our Read-Search-Ask policy and try my best to make up solutions of my own.

Please forgive me guys. :frowning:
Kevin

4 Likes

Luke: “Is copy/paste stronger?”

Yoda: “No, no, no. Quicker, easier, more seductive.”

Luke: “But how am I to know original solutions from stack overflow posts?”

Yoda: “You will know… when you are calm, at peace, and on the Balmer Peak.”

4 Likes

Thank you so much :slight_smile:

Don’t beat yourself up :slight_smile:

Reading other people’s code is a crucial part of programming, you just did it in the wrong order :wink:

You realised for yourself that you weren’t learning anything (much) and recognised the value in starting again but powered a little more by your own steam.

That in itself is a very valuable lesson.

Good luck!

3 Likes

Thank you. I’m on the third challenge now and I have been making my own solutions. There are more elegant solutions out there I’m sure, but I feel happier with it. I’ll be sleeping soundly tonight. :slight_smile:

On my first pass through the algorithms I would physically wake up in the middle of the night from being dead asleep and have “AH-HA!” moments.

So I wouldn’t put too much stock in sleeping soundly if you’re anything like I was! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes