I lost my progress

Today, I lost all my progress on FreeCodeCamp, I’ve been doing in 2 computers, one at my office, and in my home, I have done a lot of things before FCC went down. There is anyway to restore it?

There are two different types of saved progress for Free Code Camp: your profile and your browser cache. However, there is also a known issue that may be affecting your account (see below).

Your completed challenges are all saved to your account in the FCC database. You can see the list of completed challenges and also the last submitted solutions by looking at your profile page.

If your profile does not include your completed challenges, here is my troubleshooting advice:

1. Double check that you used the same method to sign in. Try logging out and back in again with the original method. Attempting to sign in with a different method will sometimes create a duplicate account. (FCC is taking steps to prevent this from happening in the future.)
  2. Double check that you aren’t on the beta site now and that you didn’t create your original account on the beta site by accident. (Yes, this does happen.)

Your progress tracking (map) is saved in your browser’s local storage. In-progress code is also saved in your local browser cache. If you are changing browsers or clearing your cache regularly you’ll have to use freecodecamp.com/map to navigate to your next challenge. Especially as you get to more complicated challenges that may take multiple sessions, I strongly recommend saving your in-progress work outside of the browser cache. This is a good opportunity to learn the ins and outs of your GitHub account, but you can also just save locally or use a service like repl.it which allows for versioning.

Known issue:

If your former progress cannot be found on your profile page, and your score has reset to 1, you have been affected by a known, but rare, issue. The team is working to resolve this issue.

If you want to start again, remember only the beginner and intermediate algorithms (marked on the map with a *), and the projects, are required to attain the front end certificate. Since your projects are likely hosted on Codepen, Surge or GitHub Pages, they have not been lost due to this reset - you can just resubmit them. Your algorithm solutions are the only critical solutions hosted directly on freeCodeCamp, so as you work on these be sure to push them to your GitHib repo, or store them with a service like Codepen, JSFiddle or Repl.

We’re sorry for the inconvenience and we are working hard to resolve future issues.

1 Like

Hello, i lost everything too. Is there any way to get my progress back? Is the issue resolved? Has the team found a workaround?

1 Like

There are two different types of saved progress for Free Code Camp: your profile and your browser cache.

A list of your completed challenges is saved to your account in the FCC database. You can see the list of completed challenges by looking at your public portfolio. With a growing curriculum already over 1,400 lessons and a growing user base several times that size, FCC does not store every solution to every challenge in its database. When you complete a challenge, there is a popup that gives you the option to download your solution. This gives you the option to save copy of any solution that you may want to reference later. There are some challenges which are classified as projects required for certifications. Your solutions to those can be viewed on your settings page.

Your in-editor code is saved in your browser’s local storage. Recent in-progress code from the challenge editor is also saved in your local browser cache when you run tests. If you are completing lessons and do not see your recent code, then your local storage has been cleared or something is preventing FCC from writing to your browser’s storage. This could be a browser setting, a privacy extension, or a browser version incompatibility. Especially as you get to more complicated challenges that may take multiple sessions, I strongly recommend saving your in-progress work outside of the browser cache.

This is a good opportunity to learn the ins and outs of your GitHub account, but you can also just save locally or use a service like repl.it which allows for versioning.

I’ve read your previous answer. My completed challenges are not registered as completed in the settings page. Furthermore all my profile settings are blank as if this was a new blank account. My certifications are gone too…

Then you have accidentally created a new account.

Is there anything i can do to get my account back?

Unless you deleted it, it is still there.

And how can i access it?

You need to log in with the correct credentials for your original account.

I’ve been always logging in with my github account, which is what i’m doing now too.

Have you changed email of your guthub account?

Hello, I have tried the suggestions above and my progress from 2018 is not showing in my public portfolio or in the curriculum view. I completed several sections and they are all missing. I’ve signed in with both Google and GitHub accounts but no luck. Please tell me I do not have to spend all those hours redoing the challenges. Any thing else I can do to recover that data?

Thank you :slight_smile:

This also just happened to me :frowning:
Anyone figured out how to remedy the situation?

Once again. Accounts are not deleted nor is the data associated with them - except on the camper’s request.