I’m reading a book on beginner’s python programming…can someone tell me why this simple program isn’t working?

I’m reading a book on beginner’s python programming…can someone tell me why this simple program isn’t working?

me = {
    "height": "6",
    "fav_color": "red",
    "fav_author": "Orwell"
}

answer = input("Type height, fav_color or fav_author")
if answer in me:
    result = me[answer]
print(result)

Python requires indentation. I do not see any.

I’ve edited your post for readability. When you enter a code block into a forum post, please precede it with a separate line of three backticks and follow it with a separate line of three backticks to make easier to read.

See this post to find the backtick on your keyboard. The “preformatted text” tool in the editor (</>) will also add backticks around text.

Note: Backticks are not single quotes.

What about this doesn’t seem to be working for you?
When you input answer are you typing ‘height’, ‘fav_color’, or ‘fav_author’ literally? Or are you entering ‘6’, ‘red’, or ‘Orwell’?

The reason is, dictionary searches only in keys normally.
So you should either enter the input as -> “height” , “fav_color” or “fav_author”.

Don’t forget to enclose the input in quotes ( " ). Python 3 expects you to give the input as it is.
If it is a string you should enclose it in quotes.

On the first premise, it kinda depends on whether they’re attempting to search keys or values.
I’m pretty sure your second premise is not true. To my knowledge, Python 3 reads a line from input, converts it to a string and returns that (this is why you have to wrap the input in int() or float() when input is a number). So if you wrap the input in quotes you’re going to get an extra set of quotes around the answer and it’s never going to be found in the dictionary search:

>>> answer = input("Type height, fav_color or fav_author: ")
Type height, fav_color or fav_author: "fav_author"
>>> answer
'"fav_author"'

As opposed to:

>>> answer = input("Type height, fav_color or fav_author: ")
Type height, fav_color or fav_author: fav_author
>>> answer
'fav_author'