I need to stop monthly donations

I pure student from Russia, I like freeCodeCamp project and want to help you with last my money… and if I’ll not cancel donation I’ll have nothing to eat in the next month…

• I haven’t found the donation cancelling in account settings: https://www.freecodecamp.org/settings ;

• Also I haven’t possibility to cancel donation via bank site;

• I was calling to the bank and they said that is only one way to cancel the donation… making new bank card!!!

HELP ME

If you’re donating via PayPal, you can cancel the recurring payments through your PayPal account. If you donated via Stripe, then you just need to email team@freecodecamp.org.

I was using Mastercard. This is so nervius for me.

When you will add donate canceling function?

If you email team@freecodecamp.org, they can cancel the donations. Unfortunately, the secure credit card processing service that FCC uses does not allow people to cancel their own payments. Administrators must go in and cancel manually. This is a significant complaint about Stripe, but currently one that is tolerated for the security and reliability that Stripe provides.

They are still not answering. I have wrote them twice…

I understand that you are very anxious, but it has only been one day, the FCC email address gets a ton of email every day, and there is only one @QuincyLarson. You are not being ignored, and FCC does understand that this is an important request. They just may not have seen it yet. I’m very sorry that this is so stressful for you.

1 Like

Have you guys fixed this issue yet? I just sent an Email to support …I thought it was going to be a one time donation, not a donation every month…and than when my card declined the payment your system try to take money out of my bank account every hour or so …so please help me Im out of work ATM and can’t afford any type of donation for any reason at all …and I can’t really give you guys my money that’s meant for me to buy food with …thanks

Quincy tries to respond to these emails as soon as possible, because we all know how financial situations can change and the last thing we want to do is cause more stress for the people who have been generous enough to donate to freeCodeCamp. I would suggest emailing freeCodeCamp again with a copy of the last donation receipt you received. I’ve noticed that several people’s emails have been sending replies from freeCodeCamp support to the Spam filter when Quincy needs more information to find your information, so start checking your junk folders.

There is absolutely no way for freeCodeCamp to charge your checking account directly. It sounds like you donated via Stripe (as opposed to PayPal), which works by simply charging your credit card every month and passing that to freeCodeCamp. Neither Stripe nor freeCodeCamp has your routing or account numbers.

Thank you for donating to freeCodeCamp. Every donation, large or small, one-time or ongoiong, helps us keep the lights on.

Hi Paul,

Sure. I have taken care of this.

Just for anyone else reading this, there is no need to post a message on the forum, send me multiple emails, and DM me on Twitter – all within 24 hours. You can send a single email to team@freecodecamp.org and I will take care of everything.

I do check the team@freecodecamp.org email address several times each week, and I can issue refunds in the event that a charge somehow goes through before I’m able to respond.

2 Likes

Hey Quincy you should really think of making a cancel button as it says in FCC homepage that " you can cancel anytime " otherwise it’s about FCC losing " trust " of its audience.

My understanding is that this is a limitation of Stripe and the way they handle repeated charges. The last time I checked, the only way to cancel those charges was for an administrator to go in manually and cancel it. There isn’t an automated option.

However, PayPal does have the ability to cancel recurring payments through your user dashboard.

1 Like

You can cancel any time by sending an email to team@freecodecamp.org. It’s a pretty painless process that takes a few extra seconds. No phone calls or anything needed. And this way, I can personally thank people for their past donations, and make sure there are no technical hangups in the database that might prevent the cancellation from working properly (some people have duplicate accounts, or their donation isn’t associated with the same address as their freeCodeCamp account).

Isn’t " computer programming " about " solving real world problems" ?
I guess this is one of those problems to solve. Instead of 'quizzes in programming ’

Stripe is a company that freeCodeCamp does not control. They have an API, which is how websites and software can perform actions. The API does not provide any way to cancel a recurring payment programmatically. You can request this feature from Stripe. I know that many people have, because I’ve spent some time digging trough support threads for Stripe users.

It might be worth considering for freeCodeCamp to create a button that brings up form for the information that Quincy needs and then emails that to team@freecodecamp.org, but this would just be a way to hide the human element of our community behind a facade of automation.

1 Like