I'm a Professional Dev - And I Write Broken Code

@JeremyLT. lol. Probably not. At least in my case :laughing:

2 Likes

Well… some folks are still correct, as freeCodeCamp curriculum isn’t quite there in terms of tests. And the reason for it is recursive, because tests are code written by professional devs :wink:

2 Likes

This is a great post and something that everyone needs to realize. I think we all get Imposter Syndrome from time to time (I sure did when I was invited to a Machine Learning summit for my work!). It is easy to pick out your flaws and see how that makes you worse than your peers, assuming they achieve perfection every time.

Know that whether you have been writing code since Basic or are just learning what a loop is, you share something in common. You will all make mistakes, you will all not understand how to code something, and you will all be humbled.

Never be afraid to ask for help and take time to step away and come back later. I literally figured out an issue I had by doing that within a minute of looking at it with fresh eyes after struggling for over an hour to figure out what I did wrong.

Keep reaching!

5 Likes

True, but a lot of new coders sometimes jump to the conclusion that FCC has to be wrong and their code has to be right. Accepting that there is probably something I can improve was a huge step forward in my development as a programmer - that’s what I was going for.

2 Likes

Yep coding is super easy and nothing ever goes wrong.

2 Likes

Well yes it’s hard anf bit hard to explain since it’s abstract thinking you will need to do here. Try to think like a computer and not as a human being here.
Is what can help you out.

2 Likes

May I know what technologies are you working with in general?

1 Like

I am primarily a C developer, but I also use Fortran, CUDA, C++, and Python.

I work in High Performance Computing, specifically large scale finite element based physics simulations.

1 Like

I in last stage of JavaScript Algorithms and Data Structures Certification and just pause to find in form Question related to how to memorize JS cod formula.How do peoples keep big formula in thought and where to insert , i understand the Questions and know answer but what code to insert there i get stuck .

do we have to memorize codes

1 Like

You don’t have to memorize codes.

It’s true that the more you practice code the more you will remember about code, but professional developers are always looking things up! That’s why we write documentation.

3 Likes

Always room for improvement, and for me, the best evidence of that is coming back to some “awesome” code I wrote a couple years later. :smile:

2 Likes

Definitely. It is incredible seeing how much you’ve improved over the years (though sometimes old code can be embarrassing!).

Glad I could help. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Coding would be so much easier if it wasn’t for all that spelling :smiley:

2 Likes

What do you mean by stack trace?

1 Like

A stack trace is the list of function calls that lead to the current error.

Knowing what function(s) called the function that errored provides a lot of context and information.

1 Like