I'm irritated with web development. Should I reconsider being a programmer?

And OK. I’m also going to look up and read a few books about computers and robotics in my spare time.

Does anyone have some good book suggestions on computer hardware, circuitry (like logic gates), and machine learning? I’m also looking for a book on the internet of things. I’m sure I can find a PDF.

I might also consider using Khan Academy instead. I find books easier to refer back to, but Khan Academy is great free resource with great explanations and examples.

OP said he completed the entire Responsive Web Design curriculum which introduces you to both Flexbox and CSS Grid, so I assumed he’s familiar with them. Bootstrap - which also uses Flexbox btw - is more than just laying things out, you get to do so many things much easier and faster than manually, it’s a good tool for people who just don’t want to deal with it but have to get it done somehow.

Bootstrap is very worth learning IMO and it comes from someone who prefers to making these things(entire designs) on his own from scratch.

1 Like

Since you’re looking to get into ML and IoT, and you hate web design, have you considered getting into python instead of Javascrpt? It’s a better language for writing these things.

If you’re looking for learning resources, I suggest starting at Udemy, especially now that they have the Black Friday sale going on, 10$ for every course.

Worst thing you can do is force yourself to do something you dont like for money. Just the way I wasted 3 years trying to go into pharmacy just because its good money, only to realize I hate that stuff. If you just “stick by it” for few more months and still hate it, just quit. Really, dont waste your time.

2 Likes

To me it simply sounds like you are a Back End Developer, not a Front End Developer.

1 Like

Too many labels and pigeonholes. There is still a market for page designers, and there is still a place for those who are code-heads. Full-stack, front-end, back-end… it’s a hybrid world now. :wink:

It sounds to me like the OP is exploring the options, finding what works and what doesn’t. So the actual graphic bits aren’t for him, I get that – learning CSS is kind of like learning how a magic trick happens. All the magic is gone, replaced with cleverness. So now you know, you’ve lost that innocence, explore other aspects of development. There are a LOT of options in the field.

I’ve also decided to see if I can go to a trade school to learn about installing network cables, computer repairs, or performing work on computer networks. I originally began pursuing programming as a skillset to have, but I think I will always be more of a physical, hands-on person.

Sure I can be a great programmer, but I’ll always love building and repairing things with my hands and have that come more naturally. If I can learn programming while learning something related that’s more physical, that would be even better.

1 Like

If you’re still into programming why not try something else. Learn C, python or php. Learn the backend, working with a database or security. There’s life beyond html and css you know. I don’t think that python is harder than javascript. The JS you have learned already will tie in with python or C. This knowledge is not lost. You know what you don’t like so maybe that’s a clue to what you will like and be much better at. I love programming but I am actually not very good at it. I read these success stories and well, I sigh. so if the following is not true, correct me girls and guys. What I have understood is this: you don’t learn a language or design, you learn what a computer is, how it works and what problems it resolves and creates. (Design can be learned with paper and pencil as well, it is its own field). Whatever you learn is useful to slowly build up a bigger picture of how each action and process fits into the whole and teaches you what a computer really is.
By the way, CS50 is an introductory university course that introduces you to C, python, SQL and javascript. You can do it for free or with a paid certificate. (go to a site called EDX). And you are not alone in your dislike of CSS, it drives me up the wall, color schemes, fonts (a nightmare, I like Comic Sans MS), design…, I’m not a visual person at all.
Take care.

1 Like

I think there’s currently a very big misconception about what is a web designer and what is a web developer/programmer. And it’s an understandable confusion, since front-end developer implies implementing designs, that is, turn designs into actual websites.

However, the actual act of designing the website is not necessarily the responsibility of developer, nor it is for the designer to implement the website. If you can do both, that’s awesome, design is something very beautiful and i would really like to be better at it (i’ve learned a bit on the road, but nothing close to the actual quality of a designer).

So, what do i want to say with all of this? Well, remember that, if what you actually like if programming (which i think you are yet to discover as you start learning JavaScript), then don’t worry too much about not liking the User Interface part of the job. Of course, i don’t mean to do bad looking stuff, just learn very basics of design, like readable font-sizes, some color balance (black and white is better than unbalanced colors), and the use of space and you are pretty much good to go to present something that doesn’t look like wow, but that isn’t ugly.

However, i ask you to don’t give up so quickly on HTML and CSS. I mean, if you don’t like them, you don’t have to use them. But in my personal case, i felt pretty much like you, i thought i hated CSS so much and that it was just impossible to learn. But after following a couple Udemy courses (By Jonas Schmedtmann, they are worth it so i don’t care about mentioning him), i gained confidence on using CSS and, the funnier part, right now i really enjoy the language! It’s quite a pleasure.

So, my recommendations: Keep exploring and continue with the FCC curriculum. HTML and CSS ARE web development and ARE code, but they are not programming, which is fine. So, as you start learning JavaScript, hopefully you’ll get excited about programming, it’s really fascinating! Also, remember that programming is a huge area, and you can work on pretty much anything with it (games, AI, sciences, graphics, sound, web, systems, anything!), so maybe your area is somewhere else. BUT! Don’t rush and try to learn a thousand things, try to be consistent, what you learn by doing, say, web development, can totally be transferable to other things involving programming. Also, take into account that as a front-end developer your job would be to implement User Interfaces (amount many other things, front-end is getting more complex), not to make them look good; but for this, knowing some CSS is always quite useful, and, spoiler, absolutely possible to learn!

This is actually more of a reminder for myself, i still make many mistakes, and have learned with time that consistency, being it sticking with a technology stack, an area of programming or project; is quite beneficial. Which doesn’t mean you will never learn something new, this is quite dangerous, just find a balance.

Happy learning and happy programming!

I think we share similar perspectives :grinning:

By the way, CSS is tamable, i promise!

A few years ago you probably wouldn’t have even considered web development as one of your few options in life. So don’t be so hard with yourself.

I encourage you to keep exploring web development, programming and computer science, because they are so beautiful and empowering! And yes, they pay really well.

But also try to explore other interests too. Music, drawing, photograph, 3D modelling, running, cinema, dancing? Whatever really. And surprise surprise, everything you learn, you can apply it to any other thing you want to do/learn. Sometimes very directly, sometimes on more abstracts ways.

So, keep doing some web dev, but also try to discover yourself better!

Hope everything goes well with you.

There’s probably too many factors into determining what career field is right for you. Some people find trying to get a logo correctly displayed like a puzzle to solve in which we’re super satisfied at the end when it’s complete. If you don’t find the process satisfying or don’t have the patience consistently, I would give that some thought. There’s no doubt anything sucks if we don’t get it.

Here’s a chart of what it’s like going through learning to program:

Well so far learning Javascript does seem to be more confusing than HTML and CSS. I think it is because I can see what my code does in real-time when designing a website, but with Javascript, I’m basically having to visualize in my head or on paper the flow of a bunch of numbers and letters.

I can do hands-on work in general no problem, with a bit of practice. Things like repairing a bicycle, or welding. But I’ve always struggled a bit with more abstract things.

I think that’s why I love those programming games, because they make learning Javascript not so abstract, but eventually I’m going to have to write my own program without any visual aids or fancy bells and whistles.

And although this has given me more of an appreciation for Web Development(was it ManuAlvarado22?), I still want to learn more about Javascript, Lua, and Python for the sake of being able to do more with computers, robotics, drones, and household appliances.

Their will always be a market for hands on. It cannot be shipped over seas because someone has to be physically here to maintain it.

Even then their still is a big market for front end that cannot be shipped over-seas. a lot of 3rd & 2nd world countries limit the internet to the point where they can’t really learn programming as well.

@Nimp first learn responsive web design is not about programming at all
after that you will learn java script but if you need my advice to you
just stop for while and see cs50 on edx it is the best intro to computer science ever
on the net or you may be start with python for everybody on coursera then take cs50
after that come back to free code camp free code camp is perfect for learning
web but i don’t advice any one to start learn programming with java script
before i know about fcc i knew python and c and other languages
and for sure java script is very strange language
i mean very very very strange and start learning programming by java script
may be the worst decision you can make and if you don’t like front-end try back-end
or try anything else but before that you must see cs50 and if you like it
see programming languages on coursera and if you need to search for courses
see class central it is site for this purpose

I may have to stop learning javascript for now anyways, as money is too tight, and I can’t concentrate very well during the day because I either feel weak or am having to constantly worry about money.

I’m going to have to do some online transcription work for probably a week to keep the loan sharks and family struggles away.

I totally get you here. I’ve always been a huge fan of woodworking and I find it very peaceful and requiring similar degree of focus as programming which I like, plus the physical aspect of actually creating something with your hands on the table, rather than just behind the screen. So you can always learn some manual craft and maybe learn programming as a tool to help you build, model, demonstrate something that you do on a physical level.

Could you elaborate more on that please, because now you’re just throwing in some generic statements without backing them up. Otherwise it’s just an opinion which is very subjective.