I'm looking for play testers for my Roguelike

Well, it’s been a long haul, but I think I’m nearly finished with my Roguelike project. As a last step, I would love to get some feedback on the game. If you have some time, please check it out and let me know what you think. Specifically, I’m looking for answers to the following questions:

1. Are there any game play bugs?
  2. Is it fun / challenging?
  3. Does the interface work / feel natural?

I started this project with huge ambitions, that I gradually scaled down as I went. :stuck_out_tongue: However, it does feature random level generation, random items/enemies, and even an Easter egg hidden in the game somewhere. :wink: Please, let me know what you think.

1 Like

Had a quick play - fun so far, but I’d prefer to use the arrow keys rather than ASDW

1 Like

Accidentally left caps lock on and locked the movement keys :slight_smile:

That should be pretty easy to add. :smile: Thank you for the feedback.

Is the objective to find and kill the Boss?

Yes. I’m going to add an intro and a game over screen as part of the polishing phase.

1 Like

Are the medicine bottles finite? I think I’ve run out…only picking easy fights now :slight_smile:

Yes they are, right now I believe the game generates (Enemies * .75) medicine bottles. Each bottle grants a random dice roll worth of health. I thought that would add to the challenge. It can be tuned up or down if the game difficulty needs to be adjusted.

Woot - found the battle axe! Coulda used that earlier…

Made it to level four. Only started picking fights sensibly after I’d used all the medicine I could find though.

No bugs that I’ve noticed. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Next refresh, the ability to use arrow keys should be in.

How do you feel about the system of displaying an opponent’s relative strength? I started out displaying the opponents level, but I wanted a little more mystery in the game.

Playing on mobile now - any way to stop the scroll ‘elasticity’ issue? Y’know when you swipe down and the screen follows you a little and snaps back? It’s pretty distracting.

1 Like

At first I figured it was just random trash talk :slight_smile: Then I realised it mattered. It’s a nice tough…and not knowing at what level I can really expect to take on the boss makes it feel a little more interesting.

Also, maybe disable double-tap zoom if possible. Swiping quickly to run sometimes triggers the zoom in!

1 Like

Hmmmm, good feedback. I think I can prevent that by doing a preventDefault() somewhere, but I need to find the best place to put it.

Hmmm…bit too annoying to play on mobile at the moment, I think. Locking the play area in place would relly improve it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you, I’ll work on that next. I designed/built on desktop with mobile in mind, but my mobile testing has been a little weak. I’ll see what can be done. :slight_smile:

Fun fact that I just learned. Arrow keys are only triggered by ‘onkeydown’, not ‘onkeypress’. Hooray for learning new things! :slight_smile:

Ok, I think that the scrolling issue should be fixed. The downside is that you cannot scroll down, as without changes to the way swipe to navigate works, there is no way to distinguish a difference of intent between moving south and scrolling down. However, this shouldn’t effect the game negatively. In almost all cases, you should be able to see the most recent messages even without scrolling. If it becomes an issue, I could only look for touches that originate in the map area. I may make that change in any case.

1 Like