👋 Introduce yourself - freeCodeCampJxn

Hello and welcome

Please introduce yourself

I’m Eliot Sanford, and my goal for some time has been to re-organize freeCodeCamp Jackson, MS to start a monthly meetup in Hinds County.

Background:
I’m from Starkville, MS. Graduated from MSU and MC. I live in Clinton near Clinton Raymond Road on the MC side of I-20. I’m married to Ranjita. We have three kids.

Coding Story:
I am trained as a MS Excel Expert and data analyst. I thought I wanted to go to law school, but in the process of working for law firms as a paralegal, I taught myself Visual Basic for Applications Excel. I discovered the magic of programming when I needed to create 100 directories inside the windows folder structure using a list of names in an excel spreadsheet. I kept thinking that there had to be a better way to do the work instead of typing out 100 names, so I researched and rewrote a VBA script to loop through the names and make the directories in a matter of seconds. My mind was blown, and I was hooked.

I have gone on to learn fundamentals of :*

• Ruby
  • Python
  • PHP
  • SQL
  • HTML/CSS/JavaScript
  • jQuery
  • SASS
  • WordPress.

I discovered freeCodeCamp a few years ago and wanted to be a developer but keep putting it off, until the middle of last year I didn’t take it really seriously. Since December, I have been learning to code via freeCodeCamp about 20+ hours a week.

Interests:
I’m a Christian, and I enjoy reading and discussing the Bible. I’m a member of Grace Community Church of Jackson, MS. I’m a soccer coach for Brilla Academy and Clinton Soccer Association. I’m also actively involved with the Jackson Area Web and App Developers meetup, the Mississippi Coding Academy as a student mentor, and w3develops.org, a non-profit e-learning platform.

Please introduce yourself here and/or dm if you’d like to join our study group more actively.

1 Like