London study group - introduce yourself!

Hi everyone :wave:

Please use this thread to say hello and tell us a bit about yourself! I’ll go first…

I’m Matt, a software developer living in London. Originally from Nottingham, my coding journey began at the beginning of 2015 when I decided I needed a career change after working as a self-employed guitar and piano teacher for several years since graduating with a degree in music tech (and then a master’s in music).

I started off mainly learning Python and basic computer science by doing a bunch of MOOCs on Coursera and edX, as well as using various other resources such as Codecademy and Khan Academy. Towards the end of the year, I discovered freeCodeCamp and started working through the curriculum.

In April 2016 I plucked up the courage to go to my first freeCodeCamp meetup and I’ve been to almost every single one since then. Everyone was (and still is!) super friendly and helpful, and it really gave me a lot of motivation to put time into freeCodeCamp projects and exercises almost every day; six months later I had a portfolio I was proud of and the confidence to apply for developer jobs. You can still see it here, I haven’t touched it since: https://mdlewis.co.uk/ One day I’ll finally get round to rebuilding it!

I got my first job as a front end developer soon after in November 2016, and have bounced around a few different companies since then. I now work as a full stack developer at a green energy supplier called Bulb, working mainly with TypeScript, React and Node.

In April 2018 I volunteered to take over organising the freeCodeCamp London meetups after the previous organiser stepped down. Since working full time I haven’t made too much progress through the curriculum, but I enjoy helping out aspiring developers and making new friends.

I’m always learning new things though, and my current project is to try and learn Rust to see what all the fuss is about (apparently it’s the ‘most loved’ programming language according to the latest Stack Overflow survey)! I wouldn’t necessarily recommend it as a language to start with as a beginner though, as even with a few years of experience I’m finding it quite challenging :sweat_smile:

Apart from coding and technology, other interests include music (obviously), films, history, politics, and I’m currently attempting to learn some basic Mandarin in preparation for a trip to China later this year.

That was long, so please don’t feel you need to write that much! One or two sentences will do. But hopefully that gives some context as to how I ended up where I am now :slight_smile: Feel free to follow me on GitHub (https://github.com/matt2112) or drop me a message anytime on here or on Slack.

17 Likes

Hey, I’m Stath.

My coding journey started in year 8 at school, when I first encountered HTML/CSS. I retained an interest and “coded” (quotes before I anger the “HTML and CSS aren’t code” crowd :grin:) as a hobby. I started doing the fCC material on and off (very off) from when it was very first announced.

I pursued a career in football, my other passion, as a coach and eventually decided that it wasn’t where I wanted to be. I did a different (Ruby on Rails-based) coding bootcamp in 2017, with a view to changing careers. Once I finished that, I took the fCC curriculum more seriously as I intended to improve by frontend and javascript skills. I found my first role in Jan 2018 and haven’t look back since.

I’m passionate about mentoring developers-in-waiting and try to get to the meetups at skillsmatter every month. Life always conspires against me and I end up at the meet-up once every three months, unfortunately.

I can be found on Twitter (@estivaros), Github (Stivaros) and Slack. Happy to talk code any time :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Hi All, I’m Adam,

I first started learning to code in Java, then Python back in 2012 - 16 or so. I had a bit of a hiatus and got back involved by using fCC in late 2017 early 2018. I obtained the Responsive Web Design certificate last year and attended a couple of meetups, but I’ve found it difficult to attend more often as I live quite far away.

Recently I completed a ‘Get into Web’ course via the Prince’s Trust as I’ve been unemployed / taking a break from work for a while. After finishing the course I just got my first job as a Junior Front-end Dev @ a fashion company in the West End. I’m currently learning Bootstrap and a bunch of other things while trying to work on landing pages, the main website and other areas, like marketing emails.

I really think the fCC initiative is a great one and totally welcome anyone to join it, even if just the FB group or using the forums here, it helps to be better connected to others.

As I work in London now my intention is to attend more fCC meetups and I hope to meet other newbies like myself!

Thanks all!

Adam

4 Likes

Hi all! I’m Katie

My coding journey started in mid-2018, mostly in Java. I had started my career as a chemical engineer, where I found I had a talent and passion for programming whilst working on process control projects (included designing logic for how the plant runs and working with the “programming language” of the plant). After that I picked up LeetCode problems and realized I enjoyed programming more than the ChE city jobs, so last year decided to learn more programming and, if it was a good fit, switch careers.

I didn’t have a real path to start off - I was learning programming and Java concepts from my boyfriend, who’s a software engineer. I would do (too many) beginner courses, but found myself lost in that “intermediate” step of knowing the basics and actually using them beyond simple projects. I took a Udemy course on Java which gave me the confidence and more knowledge where I felt actually prepared. Since then I’ve been building projects (although still struggle with project ideas). I intend to start the FCC curriculum once I get a portfolio under my belt.

I’m applying for jobs now, mostly in backend. I’m excited to start using what I’ve learned and continue to grow. I recently moved from the US to the UK and am really glad this group popped up on my Meetups page - you guys have been a very supportive and fun group. I look forward to meeting more of you at future meetups and keeping in touch via Slack in between.

Katie

5 Likes

Hello! My name is Laly.

Started to code about 6months ago just because I was looking to get a job that I would enjoy. I am a beginner, currently trying to master html and css + build a portfolio. Not sure yet if I want to be more a front-end or back, but Ill decide that once I know some JavaScript.

I just joined the slack group! See you there x

4 Likes

Hi Laly, welcome!

Hope to see you at one of the meetups soon. There’s one tonight in fact if you weren’t aware of it:

http://forum.freecodecamp.org/t/freecodecamp-london-may-meetup-2/272341

Matt

1 Like

Hi everyone.

My name is Kanjoo and I live in Brighton. I started my coding journey at the end of 2017 with Codebar attending on-and-off until late last year. There I had my first real experience with coding:blush: This year, I decided to learn by building my own projects as well as the ones on freeCodeCamp. And I also committed to code/ learn everyday and so far I have managed to stick to it. Currently, I am working through fCC JS lesson.

I also find tech podcasts very useful to remain motivated. And I am on Github but I am afraid that my page is a bit dry.

My next step is to to pair program with someone here in Brighton or remotely.

Thanks,

4 Likes

Hi Kanjoo!

That’s great, good job on sticking with it. Hope to see you at a meetup sometime, but if London’s too far to travel then maybe consider setting up a freeCodeCamp group in Brighton if there isn’t already one!

Matt

Hello everyone!

My name is Lubo, originally from Slovakia, but have been living in London for past 10 years. ( time flies… ) My first coding experience was at high school (not counting MS DOS on Compaq 386 as a little kid), where we have learned basic HTML and CSS, but never got a chance to come back to it as my first jobs in London got me into retail / management until now.

At the moment I am working on Colt Steele’s Bootcamp course, #100DaysOfCode and Javascript curriculum on FCC simultaneously. As most of the guys in the community, I am planning to become a full time front-end developer for starters, but still far from ready… I have just registered to the Slack group and would love to go to the meetup, but would have to finish early at work to make it, so probably will see you guys in June! :slightly_smiling_face: If anyone wants to connect via Twitter , CodePen or GitHub feel free, will do my best to help!

1 Like

Hi Lubo, welcome! Sounds like you’re doing really well.

Just to note if it’s not clear, it’s perfectly fine to turn up late to the meetup, we won’t judge you :wink: Hope to meet you soon.

Hello everyone,

Born and raised in Austin, I’m a Senior Computer Science student at The University of Texas at Arlington.

During my studies, I have developed many programs, such as a Connect 4 game in Java implementing an AI opponent, an algorithm in C for finding optimal routes between cities using heuristics, and an HTTP server in Java.

I am the Founder of a personal finance website. Additionally, I have been a member of The Alpha Tau Omega - America’s Leadership Development Fraternity at UT Arlington for 4 years.

I hope to use my programming skills to work on more advanced and cutting-edge Artificial Intelligence and Information Security technologies.

Jacob

Hi, my name is Mahesh. When I started this course, I knew very little about HTML and CSS.
Even less about Javascript.
In initial enthusiasm, I completed Front end Certification. I wrote about my journey Here. (Wow, that was nearly 3 years ago. Since then, I have been struggling to find way forward, meandering between Data Visualization and back-end.
I have spent last 12 months doing other things. As I am unable to multitask, FCC has been on back burner.
Recently, I spent time learning PHP by writing a Wordpress Plugin. Normal coder would have done this in couple of weks. It has taken me months & months.
Couple of days ago, I mentioned to one of my twin sons that, having completed this Plugin, I think I understand Functions and OOP.
He said " Not really. You are using functions as subroutines!!".

So I think I eed to get back to Javascript and start doing those challenges.
My problem is my brain still recides in the last century.
Ohh, and talking about last century, I thought I would share a little snapshot about life in last century.

Warning: this is not about coding!

2 Likes

Great to hear from you again Mahesh! I can’t believe it’s been so long since I read your article either - I still recommend it to anyone who thinks it might be too late to learn to code, or in fact to learn any new skill.

I’d be interested to understand what your son means. I suspect it may just be a difference of semantics, but let’s chat about it tomorrow if you’re at the meetup!

And that’s another amazing story, thanks for sharing! (The link at the bottom - You can read about the case and judgement here. seems to be broken though, perhaps you could ask the Rights Info admins to fix it?)

Thanks Matt. Yes, it has been a long time.
You are right about the link. It’s Runnymead Trust site and they seem to have removed the histories section. I will see if I can find the content elsewhere. If I do,I will post here.
Look forward to seing you tomorrow.

Edit:
Found copy of the text for the Judgement. I have posted it on my Drive
I’ll alert Rights Info admins. Thanks Matt

Hi All,

I am Alice. I moved to London from Taiwan years ago. I decided to be a developer and have been dedicated to learn HTML/CSS/JS since November of 2017. I completed a couple to FCC’s projects as practice and displaying the result on my portfolio to show what I am able to do. I started to look for a front-end developer position from November of 2918 and after around 6 months I finally got my first front-end developer job!!! Precisely, I just got my offer letter yesterday!!! I am excited and nervous!!!

In addition to utilizing my programming skill in job, I also want to contribute it to non-profit organizations whose core values are also important to me. Welcome to reach out if you know some non-profit which might need help!!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing Alice, congrats once again!

Hi :slight_smile:
I am Marina, originally from Bulgaria but have been calling London “home” for the past 10 years. I started learning HTML/CSS at the end of 2017, because I decided I wanted to change career. Having so many different sources to learn from got me a bit confused, so I started looking for a place with more structured teaching and found a charity organisation called ELATT (East London Advanced Technology Training), where I enrolled in their Web Design and Development Course. I completed level 2 in April, which covered HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, PHP and SQL. I am now looking for a front-end junior web developer, but from the looks of it, I might be getting a bit ahead of myself. :sweat_smile:
I decided to join FCC to potentially meet up with like minded people, hear about other peoples’ journeys and get some advice on.

3 Likes

Hi Marina, that’s great, hope to see you at a meetup soon!

Hi Everyone!

I’m Mike, I dabbled in a bit of C# as part of a game design Uni course that I didn’t end up sticking with (young Mike was a bit of a party animal). Now 9 years down the line I’m starting again from the ground up on FCC with a view to switching careers, currently working my way through the Responsive Web Design module (so a long way to go!)

It’s not easy to fit learning in around my day job working in a school office, but I do get all the holidays off which is a massive advantage, hoping to get a fair bit done over the coming summer break!

I’m enjoying it all so far, and the community here on the forums seems really supportive and helpful, so hopefully I’ll be able to stick it out this time.

1 Like