Is anyone doing all this on a linux distro?

I’ve been developing on ArchLinux with kf5 as DE. All FCC Development so far was made inside Chromium browser.

For when you do need a text editor, download sublime text 2, it’s compatible with all platforms and is the best text editor I’ve ever used, it’s amazing for coding

@blue FCC? Free Code Camp, I assume.
I’m on Arch Linux with KDE & OpenBox as a window manager.
Brackets for simple-no-framework-jobs, for feature-heavy: WebStorm.
And all FCC challenges done in Chrome.

I have been using Ubuntu, about 10 years. Frankly I don’t understand what is the problem ;).
Like said luishendrix92 it is all you need.

I have been using Linux Mint. Is that important though ? It’s all on a browser, so the OS and local environment isn’t really important is it ?

I moved over to Ubuntu from Windows last year and never looked back! I was on a ‘dual boot’ with Windows but I found I never used Windows so when I got my new PC recently I got a ‘barebones’ and installed only Ubuntu on it. I’m now using Ubuntu 16 with Atom and starting to learn Vim as well. I use Chrome mainly, along with Firefox. I use a Raspberry Pi as a private Git repo too which is fun.

So far I’ve not had any problems at all with web development on Linux. I am learning to use Gimp and Inkpad in place of Photoshop and Illustrator. I suppose they are the only programs that are a bit of an issue. I haven’t tried Wine yet though.

1 Like

You’re a good man(or woman).

Arch Linux here. Don’t let anyone tell you that you need a Mac to be a developer. Linux has all you need and more. I’ll take my $140 Craigslist Thinkpad over a $2000 Macbook any day. All this on top of the confidence that comes from being free from the man.

1 Like

Never in my life have I heard you need a Mac to be a developer. That is insane ? You have heard this ? I only use Linux ever.

1 Like

I love my seconhand Thinkpad too! Best keyboard. Ever.

1 Like

I prefer Brackets. I installed xubuntu and already use it with Brackets. No problems so far.

I would’ve went with Arch + xfce but Arch seems too advanced for me. I’m going to stick with xubuntu for now, but trying out Arch virtually.

Arch is not so advanced… You should see Gentoo! But if you set up either of them well once - it’ll just simply work.
Personally don’t like xfce, but it’s fast ;p

Arch is difficult in installation because it doesn’t have a GUI. I struggled with the connecting to the internet part a few times because I use wifi dongle and you must install drivers before rebooting into the OS.

Xfce is very nice. KDE or Plasma if that’s the one, looks very nice but seems a bit less lightweight.

Looks very clean and simple. I like it! I can tell you’ve put some time into that.

I’m using Crouton, been using my Pixel exclusively for the past 3 weeks. And while I’ve had to look up how to do something a few times other than Skype (and I suspect I could figure that out) I haven’t been limited in any way. I’m running Atom and webStorm in Ubuntu but honestly, it’s rare that I have to leave ChromeOS.

I completely borked my Windows 10 installation yesterday trying to get the Anniversary update, so after trying many fixes, I decided to just wipe the slate clean and install Ubuntu. I say ‘I decided’ but truthfully, I accidentally changed where Windows looked for the bootloader, so my OS was ‘missing’ and I could only access the BIOS setup :blush:

Goodbye Windows!

Getting Chrome, Node, Git, Heroku Toolbelt, and VS Code installed was trivially easy, and that’s basically all I need :slight_smile:

1 Like

I run Linux Lite 3.0 on my desktop, and Ubuntu Mate on my Thinkpad. They’re both fast, functional and easy to use. I use Geany and Bluefish to code. I only really used Windows for gaming, and now that Steam runs on Linux, trashing the Windows partition was a no-brainer.

If you mean about the UI - yes. I did and I’m liking it like this. Would be nice if I could get the entire OSX flat theme going but it’s not my top priority now. But apparently you can do the OSX transformation too. Link

Only thing I’m trying to do now is make a shortcut to switch between workspaces on my mouse. Got those two extra buttons that could switch between two workspaces. I still keep my Windows 7 installation for some reason but I visit it less by the day.