Is anyone doing all this on a linux distro?

If you find Arch difficult to setup, you could give Antergos a try as its built on arch. Easyto install and you get to have blazingly fast updates.

I personally use Arch with KDE along with Atom for development. Chromium has got dev tools.

I used Antergos for a month but the kernel updates kept nuking my wifi card…too annoying and fiddly to be actually productive for my liking.

Yeah i tried it and had some initial problems with the installer. But once i got past that my general experience was ok.

(My first entry into the forum)
I use two: Fedora on my desktop and Mint on my old netbook - both with Cinnamon desktop and both with Firefox and Chrome. I have Atom, but tend to use Gedit (with some added plugins) for quick or simple edits, or Vim when in a terminal.
I haven’t had much use or need for Windows or MacOS in years.

Experimenting with different distros is pretty easy these days, so it’s definitely worth exploring.

Deepin is a nice one. If you are having trouble with both arch and antergos you may want to give it a try. Also ApricityOS, very nice looking. I suggest GNOME version. Chromium is very good but I cannot seem to get the auto scroll to work. (The scroll when you hit MMB)
EDIT: found it: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/autoscroll/occjjkgifpmdgodlplnacmkejpdionan

I wanted to try Fedora mainly because I saw Elliot from Mr. Robot use it with Kali but completely new distro is out of the question now. I’m too busy and I’m used to apt not pacman or yum or whatever.

I use Linux Mint 17.3 MATE. The assignments I’ve got so far (almost 200) didn’t require anything but a browser, and it’s a known fact that GNU/Linux is an excellent development platform, so whatever will come our way… it should just work. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m on xubuntu for a few weeks now. Nothing to complain. Want to find a free android emulator once I start doing Java/Android development but that’s a different story.

I’m using Manjaro Linux XFCE

Nice to know there are fellow XFCE-ers :stuck_out_tongue:

I did some challenges on a Linux machine. I’m a computer geek, so I have laptops running all four major operating systems (always reuse your old laptops, haha.)

On my Ubuntu machine I’m running Linux Mint, and I use Chrome (or Chromium) + Visual Studio Code. Works great!

Visual Studio Code is very awesome, and completely cross platform. I use it on everything except Chrome OS, where I use Cloud 9 instead. Codepen is fine as a portfolio, but I don’t hate myself enough to use it as a dev environment.

Have you tried installing hackintosh on any of those laptops?

I haven’t, though the way I have Mint set up looks a lot like a Mac UX, using plank and moving the task bar to the top, plus a couple of other easy settings changes.

Yeah I made my Xubuntu similar to it. I installed Manjaro XFCE on vbox to get used to it. Might install it on a new laptop when I buy it.

Quite a few linux users and interesting choices from all of you guys! After lots of journeys in the linux-distro land, I ended up to Slackware 14 with openbox window manager on my 13-year-old machine. I have to say that installing and setting up Slackware made me learn a lot about the operating system, the kernel and the shell. For web browsing, I use Firefox and for coding I use vim and geany.

on Linux Mint\Ubuntu\Debian\Fedora all going well!! You can install web server with database if you like, actually for me this is better than any Windows at least double. By the way I was Arch user for a 2 long day ahaha - I do not have so much time to learn and maintain system.
Best newbie choice Mint or Ubuntu.
I use Linux Mint 18 Sarah 64-bit

I use Manjaro XFCE (which is Arch based) and I don’t go back to Windows unless I have to play some age of empires.

1 Like

Atom and Sublime Text are my got to for Linux Dev.

I’m using a Linux distro for some time now. I’m on Antergos. Having issues with Chromium still.

Linux is a better fit for dev than Windows. Terminal emulator? Wut the wut…

But actually, when you start the Back End program, you do everything on Cloud9, which is an Ubuntu computer somewhere ‘in the cloud’ that you interact with through the browser.

The first few backend tutorials walk you through getting it up and running, and its totally free.

1 Like