Is ASP.NET Useful Or Outdated?

Hello, everybody. I wonder if anyone that’s familiar with ASP.NET would tell me if, in your experience, it’s in common use at present or if it’s outdated? Thanks!

1 Like

General opinion seems to be that you can have decent job opportunities maintaining enterprise apps because there’s a lot of companies with existing software built on the Microsoft stack, but it won’t be much fun. You should look at jobs in your area (or where you want to be) and maybe give it a shot

ASP.NET is still a huge player in IT industry, as these figures demonstrate:

https://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/default.aspx?q=&l=&id=1300&p=6

Whether it is a good thing to learn for the future is another question. A lot depends on the success of the open-source, cross platform .net core.

Hi @YehoshuaK. I don’t have much of experience with asp.net, I started to learn asp.net couple week ago part-time because of the popularity of here’s local market. I currently using udemy, free youtube channel, and Microsoft Virtual Academy.

Here in Chicago, there seem to be a great number of .NET and PHP jobs. More than JavaScript, which is unfortunate since JS is my main language. :anguished:

@jlave, My problem is the same. Trying to get the experience with the dot.net

1 Like

I spent a few weeks trying to get started with C# and asp.net and my feeling is that it is more challenging to get started with than the Javascript environment. Microsoft has been a closed shop until recently and ASP.NET doesn’t seem to have the same ecosystem of free, beginner-friendly tutorials and blog posts. Most of the courses I started with assumed that you already had a background in the platform.

Dot net core looks promising. But there is also a lot of flux in the API.

Java is an alternative. The language is similar to C# but the consensus seems to be that the ecosystem is much better.

1 Like

There’s a ton of tutorials (considering .NET has been around since 2002). The challenge is picking the one that is relevant to your particular ASP.NET version.

WebForms is out (thank God I didn’t learn that piece of crap, I skipped that era), but C# and ASP.NET (and now .NET Core) is pretty good and solid. .NET Core is particularly embracing modern/open web development. All the things you know on the “hip” side of development like Angular, Bower, CSS/SASS, etc. are things you can also do on .NET

I can’t remember if I read or heard it on a blog, but there are about 27,000 api function calls in the ASP.NET framework. Yeah, some of them only applicable in certain instance (desktop apps, for example) but you can see it’s a very large, and mature framework. It’s not going outdated in the near future.

For ecosystem, having a Win10 VM and installing the ASP.NET framework + Visual Studio IDE + free SQL Server Developer version is all you need to get started. If you’re using .NET Core, then you can also install it on OSX and Linux.

I’ve been freelancing/self-employed since 2000 and I’m using primarily Microsoft Stack for all my clients (IIS, ASP/NET, MSSQL server). On the browser/client side, I’ve used AngularJS, VueJS, Bootstrap, jQuery in conjunction with my MS stack for the backend. – I figure if the client can afford their own Windows server and SQL server licenses, they can afford me too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks very much, everyone. I really appreciate your sharing your experience with me.

Asp.net still update. But .net core become more popular in trends.

Yeah, you aren’t going to build networking applications with C# and Asp.net. Some old heads argue that it’s still preferred for enterprise businesses but I don’t want to hitch my wagon to a company that hasn’t updated there application since the 90’s.
That being said it doesn’t hurt to be knowledgeable. I definitely would waste time and energy on Asp.net though.

asp .net core with mvc is the most popular framework here in mi city and unless you find some PHP or Java jobs you have to dig deeper or move to another city or country.

.net asp mvc has evolved a lot and so has C# to the point where working with the entity framework, linq and functional programming is less painful than it was like 10 or 20 years ago.

everyone is sharing there experiences and stuff…so i think you should read this too;
the thing is 2 years ago from today i was working in a corporate they were using dot net in their project and i was a noob i did everything as they said to me, i mean i built desktop apps and web apps using dot net, it was pretty decent (may be) but the thing is now im using some very great techs like nodejs with nestjs (built on top of express/fastify) trust me my development speed graph has increased as hell and got a sharp tangent i can do stuff in minutes which takes approx. half n hour or one in dot net so yea…i love nodejs and i hate dot net for sure and that’s my experience. Why deal complexity when you have easier ways to do same stuff

and yea for for guys you are thinking that there’s no complexity in dot net then dude i’m not talking about just the CRUD operations, there’re much more things to deal when you’re building huge projects

if you have medium size or small projects then go ahead and build it using dot net it has those linq stuff and inbuilt design pattern like factory and stuff its great for that